Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella network organisation representing Fairtrade certified producers and workers in Africa. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern & Central Africa; Southern Africa; Western Africa; and the Middle East and North Africa. Established in 2005, FTA aims to effectively represent producers and workers within the International Fairtrade system and provide services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods. The FTA Board directs policy and strategic development of the organisation.
- JOB TITLE: PROJECT TECHNICAL ASSISTANT
- TEAM: Regional
- LOCATION: Accra, Ghana
FAIRTRADE AFRICA PURPOSE
To improve the socio-economic conditions of African producers through increased access to better trading conditions.
- Post holder reports to: Head of Region
- Staff reporting to this post: None
Salary: GHC 4,326 to 5,306
JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING
Reporting to the Head of Region, the Project Technical Assistant (PTA) will be responsible for providing Producer Support Services including supporting Producer Organisations (POs) who are beneficiaries of the WACP Project in the implementation of activities in Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Mali and Togo. The Project Technical Assistant will also conduct capacity building activities to strengthen the capacity of beneficiary Producer Organisations. The PTA will additionally support POs in the process of reviewing, revising and complying with Fairtrade standards.
Key Performance Areas
Component 1: Financial Support Facility
- Contribute to the development of the project baseline and collect data for Monitoring and Evaluation using the project Monitoring and Evaluation tools especially on beneficiary Producer Organizations (POs) of the project fund/“Facility”.
- Identify and participate in networks, platforms or events (workshops, fairs, cooperation, exhibitions etc. among rural development actors) for sharing information especially on the project fund/ “facility”
- Disseminate/diffuse information about the project facility to the national targets of the project (POs, National Fair trade Networks, NGOs etc.) on the existence and content of the project, mechanisms and logic of the facility and the Call for application to the Project Fund/ “Facility”.
- Assist interested POs to receive support from experts for the preparation and submission of concept notes to access funding from the project fund/”facility”
- Follow up and support POs submitting concept notes to comply with call guidelines including submitting concepts on time
- Support beneficiaries in the formulation and implementation of projects supported by the facility
Component 2: Institutional strengthening of the Networks of Producer Organizations
- Conduct a needs-based situational assessment of POs and prepare plans to address the capacity or skill needs of PO partners of the “Equity Project”
- Initiate discussion with and support the strengthening of the Ghanaian National Fair Trade Network of certified POs
- Conduct or support experts to carry out training sessions for POs (including the standards of the certification bodies associated with the project)
- Support the establishment of product networks and ensure their animation
- Support the establishment of a product and market information system aimed at identifying products on offer by POs and product demands/needs of buyers, especially North based buyers
- Support producers to participate in the process of reviewing existing standards or the development of new standards
- Support the dissemination of modified or created standards
- Ensure the project awareness among relevant key project stakeholders including national authorities/agencies/services and AFD
Membership Data Bases and Local Knowledge
- Create a data base of current and potential members in own region
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with fair trade member organisations.
- Collect views and needs of the members and share these at all times with the Head of Region
- Advise the Head of Region on POs attitudes towards the project and other stakeholders operating within the country
- Gather information on other related projects and organisations working within the country and advise the Head of Region.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with local communities, public and government institutions, educational institutions etc. who have a stake in the Project, its objectives and beneficiaries
- Advocate on fair trade principles, policies and issues with local or country level opinion leaders and decision makers in close liaison with the Head of Region
- Ensure awareness of the local trends, perceptions and players in the local community or country. Advise the Head of Region on how to manage risk and also optimise on the opportunities
- Influence localised policies and perceptions in favour of fair trade and fair trade systems and label through the support of the Head of Region.
- Support fair trade projects on the ground
- Prepare and provide reports to the Head of Region on projects progress
- Provide feedback on project challenges and recommend remedial actions
- Identify opportunities for new projects, collect data and information for forwarding to the Head of Region
- Provide support to the members or project beneficiaries in project implementation. Constantly communicate the objectives of the projects to ensure member buy in.
- Ensure policies and procedures are in place and are adhered to
Provide Administrative Support
- Collect and submit all receipts covering expense and work with Finance and Administration Officer to keep project accounts
- Support FTA-WAN Head of Region to ensure that programming and monthly reports on the activities are carried out
- Ensure proper archiving of all project documents (reports, photos, accounts, mail etc.) as well as security and maintenance of project equipment
- Ensure all FTA procedures and systems are adhered
- Ensure effective exchange of information and development of good practice regarding all relevant issues relating to FTA
- Mentor members and potential members on fair trade and FTA requirements.
TOT Interns Support
- Work closely with member organisations in identifying potential TOT Interns from among them
- Screen and recommend potential candidates to Head of Region
- Carry out the induction of the TOT Interns and identify skills and knowledge needs
- Coach and mentor the TOT Interns at all times
- Develop TOT workplans and work schedules and supervise the same
- Agree a mechanism of expense disbursement and claim for TOT Interns with the Head of Region and Project Manager
- Provide them with work performance measures and monitor the same.
Required Skills or Experience
- Agronomist or socio-economist with relevant experience of at least 5 years in the knowledge and application of the principles and objectives of Fairtrade.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the field of organisational and economic strengthening of producer organizations
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or a Diploma in relevant field with additional work experience
Other Specialist Training or Certifications
Communication demands and competencies
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact with individuals across multi-functional disciplines
- Excellent communication skills
- Competence in some of the local languages
How to Apply
An application form (CVs will not be accepted) can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website http://www.fairtradeafrica.net/about-us/jobs-and-volunteering/
Completed applications should be saved in the applicant’s name, and be e-mailed to [email protected]
All applicants should state how they meet essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the application form.
This job description is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time based on discussions with the post holder and the line manager.
The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives, which should facilitate achievements of key responsibilities in accordance with the Performance Review Process