The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) is responsible for leading FAOâs response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAOâs priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RAF also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organizationâs Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAF develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The RAF FAO Representation (FAOR), or Country Office, Network is responsible for the proportionate allocation of resources to the FAO Representations in the Africa region. In this capacity, the Network ensures that i) general management and administrative support and guidance are provided to the country offices in the region; and ii) financial commitments and expenditures are adequately controlled and within established limits, including certification of availability of funds.
Job Title: National Programme Assistant
The National Programme Assistant reports to the Programme Officer (FAOR Network) – Team Leader.
Supporting Country Offices for effective budgeting and implementation of their Regular Programme activities.
Tasks And Responsibilities
- Assemble, monitors and inputs annual work plans and budget estimates for Country Offices in the Region, ensuring that funds are properly allocated and reported;
- Arrange appointments for supervisor, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls, responds to routine requests for information as well as drafts correspondence on routine matters;
- Monitor data quality in the Country Office Information Network(COIN) database relating to the RAF FAOR network and maintains other office records and reference files on various subject;
- Assist FAO Representatives, Assistant FAO Representatives and other Budget Holders visiting the Regional Office for briefing/debriefing or consultations;
- Provide assistance in the preparation of Periodic Budget Reports (PBRs);
- Initiate administrative transactions in the Organizationâs computerized financial and travel systems; prepares Travel Authorizations and processes of Travel Expenses Claims as may be required;
- Perform Data warehouse/COIN/FPMIS routine queries and produces relevant reports as required;
- Contribute to the maintenance and updating of office records information data on matters concerning policy, planning, budget, personnel and procedures related to the FAOR Network, paying special attention to confidential and sensitive matters;
- Assist in monitoring availability of FAOR network funds against approved allocations to ensure conformity with work plan outputs in order to maintain a comprehensive forecasting system, including post and other expenditures planning;
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Secondary School Education (high school diploma); supplemented by courses in accounting, general administration or related training;
- Three years of relevant experience in financial and/or administrative support work;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge (Level B) of French.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous ImprovementTechnical/Functional Skills
- Extent and relevance of experience in financial/budgetary planning, monitoring and reporting
- Extent and relevance of experience in administrative support work and associated tools
- Extent of experience in analyzing, processing and editing of information and data and record keeping
- Good knowledge of the MS Office application, Internet and office technology equipment
- Ability to effectively use information systems and databases to insert and retrieve data, make enquiries and edit results