Posted on :
22 May, 2019
22 May, 2019
The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) leads FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities.In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), especially the eradication of poverty, achieving zero hunger, good health and well-being. It leads the organization’s agricultural trade work in sub-Saharan Africa, through the coordination and facilitation of an integrated set of activities to strengthen the capacity of African countries and their Regional Economic Communities (RECs) to develop trade strategies, design and carry out trade policies and to negotiate trade agreements that will enable them to support the implementation of agricultural and food security strategies and investment plans. RAF supports the implementation of the Malabo Declaration that made clear commitments to Boosting Intra-African Trade in Agricultural Commodities and Services, which have been reinforced recently by the signing of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA)
Job Title: Trade Policy Specialist
The consultant will report to the Senior Economist (Trade) under the overall supervision of the Assistant Director General (ADG) and Regional Programme Leader. He/she will work in consultation with other Technical Officers, the Partnerships and South-South Cooperation Division (DPS) Officer and RAF Partnerships Officers.
The consultant will contribute to the activities and outputs of the Strategic Programme 4 Team: Enable Inclusive and Efficient Agricultural and Food Systems, providing technical support to FAO member countries for effective formulation of trade policies and participation in trade negotiations through the provision of the evidence base, capacity development and facilitation of fora for policy dialogue.
Tasks and responsibilities
In close collaboration with all team members the consultant is expected to:
• Analyse relevant data and information, synthesize literature, and support the preparation of knowledge products such as working papers, technical notes and briefs on agricultural trade policy and trade negotiations in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Support stakeholder engagement activities, including dialogue events with relevant partner organizations to develop trade activities and project proposals based on evidence and analytical findings.
• Plan and execute activities involving technical and organizational support in response to country requests with regard to the design and implementation of agricultural trade policies and contribute to the formulation and delivery of trade-related support under various projects.
• Develop tailored training modules on agricultural trade, including materials based on relevant case-studies, country examples, materials for the design of interactive scenarios, etc., and contribute to the delivery of training and defining future capacity development events to ensure sustainability of learning.
• Participate in missions to countries to provide technical backstopping to projects and related activities.
• Facilitate the organization of workshops in collaboration with concerned partners.
• Assist with preparing communicational products related to agricultural trade.
• Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Business Administration, Agri-Business, Public Policy, Agricultural Sciences or related field.
• At least seven years of relevant experience with trade policy analysis, inter-governmental coordination on trade and markets issues and research institutions or international organizations.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO Official languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work.
• Extent and relevance of experience in trade policy analysis.
• Experience with advising governments and/or agricultural sector stakeholders on trade and markets issues.
• Extent and relevance of experience in project formulation and technical backstopping and leading multidisciplinary teams for technical implementation.
• Capacity to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information and present ideas and recommendations in a clear and understandable manner.
• Computer literacy with Word, PowerPoint and basic spreadsheets.
• Excellent communication (both written and oral) and presentation skills.