Do you want to improve millions of lives and leave a lasting legacy at the same time? Do you want to use your talents and skills to make a difference and not just a living? Do you want to help feed the world now and in the future? Farmerline works to reinvent how the world thinks and invest in the lives of small-scale farmers. We are working to help farmers produce and sell food. We are bold and systemic thinkers, but operate lean and nimble.
We train and support a network of smartphone empowered field agents to bring vital services and information to farmers doorsteps. Products like high quality but affordable fertilizers, fungicides and seeds. Information services like weather forecast, market prices, financial & nutrition tips. We are building the “Amazon” for farmers where they can access these services and other resources at an affordable price, quality and right in their community.
We have supported many organizations with our tools and knowledge to improve the way they work with farmers. Over the past 6 years, Farmerline and its partnership network has profiled and served over 200,000 farmers and mapped over 1 million acres of farmland across 12 countries.
Farmerline is a learning organization and you will have the chance to apply your ideas and creativity to solve problems. If you work well in a dynamic collaborative culture, set high standards, and meet challenges with determination and a sense of humour, you’ll thrive at Farmerline.
Job Title: Legal & Compliance Specialist
As the legal and compliance specialist, you will ensure that the organisation remains up-to-date on all regulatory and licensing requirements in accordance with company regulation and country laws. You will be required to develop, implement, and enforce policies and procedures that keep Farmerline’s products, processes, and physical sites operating in a legal and ethical manner.
You will conduct audits or investigations, recommend areas for improvement, and develop roadmaps for remediation. You will also be the liaison between the company and all external legal and regulatory bodies. monitoring compliance and proactively identifying and mitigating operational risks.”
The right candidate will have strong cross-cultural communication and leadership skills, the ability to transition seamlessly between strategic big-picture thinking and detailed analysis, and a passion for bringing Farmerline’s services to a higher level on the basis of demonstrable results and data evidence.
- Research and analyze the laws, regulations, policies, and rules that govern Farmerline’s work in Ghana and other areas of operation.
- Develop and maintain a risk assessment matrix while running a quarterly analysis of vulnerabilities and risks and implementing corrective actions.
- Establish and maintain close contact with relevant government agencies and key decision makers and regulators and other institutions that administer the law, to determine when new laws or regulations are issued that affect Farmerline’s operations and update Farmerline teams on these new developments.
- Lead on drafting internal policies that ensure external compliance while ensuring that all teams and operations are compliant with the regulatory framework.
- Develop and maintain systems that track Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for Farmelines business units and monitor their adherence to, with the Support of farmerlines Legal Counsel
- Develop a compliance calendar that tracks the progress of compliance tailored training across the organization to promote awareness of relevant laws/regulations/rules for each department.
- Lead and maintain license /survey applications.
- Provide guidance, upon request and need, for any new area of operation.
- Identify and assess all legal risks arising from Farmerline’s operations and in consultation with department managers develop and implement strategies to manage the risks.
- Act as custodian of key corporate legal documents.
- Build and maintain relationships with farmerline external legal partnerships
- Provide legal advice and assistance to management in relation to Ghanaian legal requirements for key areas such as contracting, permitting, employment and environment.
- The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive. The right candidate may be required to take up other duties and responsibilities as and when required.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with at least 3 years of strong, relevant work experience and a demonstrated long-term passion for development work. Candidates with the following qualifications are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Bachelor’s degree in Law, Economics, business management
- Professional background, with at least two years’ experience, in Law, Audit or Economics. Preference for experience in the agricultural sector.
- Demonstrated leadership experience at work, or outside of work.
- Excellent communication skills and proficient writing and presentation skills.
- Top-performing academic background (must have at least at least a Bachelor’s degree).
- Proven ability to drive projects from start to finish with minimal supervision
- Relationship-building skills: we’re looking for someone who is able to develop strategic relationships with our key regulators who can support in our understanding of legal policies
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate complex compliance issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of French will be an advantage.
Benefits and Compensation:
- Competitive Salary & Benefits
- Local Health Insurance
- A leadership team and colleagues investing in your personal and professional growth
- Dynamic, young culture with great opportunities for learning, leadership, and FUN