The Regional Office for RAF is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RAF also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAF develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
Job Title: Programme Officer
The Programme Officer (Resilience) reports to RI 3 Delivery Manager, under the overall guidance of the Regional Representative for Africa and the Strategic Programme Regional Coordinator, and the functional guidance of the Emergency and Rehabilitation Division, TCE as well as the Strategic Programme Resilience team in consultation with the relevant technical officers at the regional level.
Providing technical and operational support in the development, expansion and implementation of FAO’s emergency food security, disaster risk management and agricultural relief and rehabilitation programmes in the Region.
- Supports the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the regional initiative on Resilience (e.g. Sahel and Horn of Africa multi-year programme, tripartite collaboration between IGAD, CILSS and FAO);
- Develops and implements regional/ sub-regional/ country resilience policy, strategies and programmes in close collaboration with country and sub-regional teams and partners;
- Identifies strategic priorities for FAO’s role in emergency contexts and contributes to improved preparedness for, and effective management of disasters and crises responses in the region;
- Promotes programmes enhancing resilience and creates partnerships with Governments, UN agencies, regional and inter-regional institutions;
- Contributes to, and prepare project profiles, full-fledged project documents and ad-hoc reports/articles related to FAO’s resilience strategy in Africa;
- Ensures that the gender and accountability to affected populations dimensions are integrated in any tasks he/she performs;
- Encourages and expands resource mobilization efforts at regional, sub regional and country levels;
- Prepares briefs and comprehensive reports and ensures timely dissemination of information on FAO resilience programme; promotes learning through the documentation and analysis of information and experience on enhancing resilience; facilitates the compilation of good practices in SO5 related topics for FAO and interested partners;
- Participates in setting up emergency needs assessment or response teams and analysis;
- Provides coordination and operational support to level 2 and 3 emergencies;
- Develops roster of appropriate personnel profiles for rapid deployment;
- Develops training material for resilience-related initiatives and provides direct technical support and capacity development to countries, regional bodies, FAO representations and partners in the field of resilience analysis and programming;
- Perform any other related tasks as assigned.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in resilience programme management, agronomy, social sciences, natural sciences or related field
- Seven years of relevant experience on resilience programme management associated with agricultural and rural development, including experience in developing countries and disaster-stricken countries
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English and French
- Results focus
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience at the international level in food security and agricultural livelihoods associated with risk reduction management and emergency relief situations; experience with relevant UN organizations or humanitarian NGO is considered an asset;
- Extent and relevance in formulating and managing programmes that analyse and respond to complex emergencies;
- Knowledge of the African region, including political, cultural aspects and development priorities is desirable