IBM manufactures and markets computer hardware, middleware and software, and offers hosting and consulting services in areas ranging from mainframe computers to nanotechnology. IBM is also a major research organization, holding the record for most patents generated by a business (as of 2016) for 23 consecutive years. Inventions by IBM include the automated teller machine (ATM), the floppy disk, the hard disk drive, the magnetic stripe card, the relational database, the SQL programming language, the UPC barcode, and dynamic random-access memory (DRAM).
IBM has continually shifted its business mix by exiting commoditizing markets and focusing on higher-value, more profitable markets. This includes spinning off printer manufacturer Lexmark in 1991 and selling off its personal computer (ThinkPad) and x86-based server businesses to Lenovo (2005 and 2014, respectively), and acquiring companies such as PwC Consulting (2002), SPSS (2009), and The Weather Company (2016). Also in 2014, IBM announced that it would go “fabless”, continuing to design semiconductors but offloading manufacturing to GlobalFoundries.
Job Title: Senior Network Engineer
The Senior Network Engineer will be responsible for analyzing, installing, configuring, maintaining and repairing network infrastructure and network device software components. In addition, they will handle a wide variety of evaluation, automation, design, maintenance and installation tasks to ensure the Blue Box network performance meets company and user satisfaction.
Primary Responsibilities :
- Maintain a thorough understanding of Network Infrastructure, IP Routing, DNS, Security, HTTP(S), VPN, and Network Monitoring tools
- Respond to the needs of the customer for installation, maintenance and network equipment malfunctions
- Configure and setup Cisco & Juniper Firewalls, VPN Concentrators and Security appliances for secure access to vital business and customer applications
- Setup, configure and maintain Cisco & Juniper border and core routing infrastructure, distribution and access switching environments within multiple DataCenters
- Setup, configure and maintain company wireless networking that supports open or secured access
- Lead network deployment/configuration automation initiatives.
- Manage assigned networking projects, program components and deployments to deliver services in accordance with established company objectives
- Provide management reporting and be responsible for network capacity management
- Respond to inquiries from staff, administrators, service providers, site personnel and outside vendors etc. to provide technical assistance and support
- Participate in rotating, 24 X 7 on-call schedule to respond to production network incidents and issue escalations
- Troubleshoot malfunctions of network hardware and security systems to resolve operational issues and restore services
- Provide instruction, mentorship and guidance to more junior network engineering staff and across other operations teams on networking best practices, troubleshooting and configuration.
- Minimum 5years continuous experience in a similar role supporting Cisco Networks (Routers, Switches, Firewalls)• Experience in implementing and supporting complex networks• Good working knowledge of 7 basic QC tools, FMEA & VSMs• Excellent leadership qualities• Good interpersonal skills• Process oriented and with excellent documentation skills