Line Management: Reports to the Financial Manager (FM)
Job Title: Programme Accountants
A. Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Financial Manager; specific duties include:
- Assist the Financial Manager in the implementation of a sound financial management system.
- Prepare quarterly, half-yearly and annual consolidated statements of Programme accounts as an integral part of the Management Information System for submission to the Financial Manager;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations of all Bank accounts;
- Assist the Financial Manager in the preparation of withdrawal applications;
- Prepare and submit SOEs to the Financial Manager and follow up to ensure that the Programme does not encounter liquidity challenges at the Programme Coordination Unit;
- Monitor financial returns from Implementing Partners, including periodic visits to their offices;
- Support the conduct of internal audit missions by the MoFA Internal Audit unit on the basis of agreed Annual Work Plan and Budget;
- Provide assistance to the external auditors as required;
- Support in the smooth implementation of the annual external audit of programme funds, under TOR agreed by IFAD and in accordance with IFAD’s audit guidelines, for timely submission to IFAD in accordance with provisions of the “Letter To the Borrower”;
- Undertake any other duties that will ensure smooth and effective implementation of the Programme.
B. Qualification and Skills:
- A recognized degree in accounting or in a related field and pursuing a professional accounting qualification (part Qualified);
- Experience in setting up and maintaining a computerized accounting system;
- At least 5 years of practical working experience in financial management and accounting of development partner funded projects;
- Practical working experience with Government of Ghana, IFAD-financed projects or development partner-funded projects, and auditing experience;
- Fluency in written and oral English.
- Advance degree in finance, accounting or a related field;
- Committed to meeting deadlines, and willingness to work extra hours and sometimes on weekends as and when required;
- Experience in interpreting financial management reports, analysing variations to plans and determining remedial actions required;
- Excellent technical and conceptual knowledge about financial management and grasp of financial principles and practices;
- Strong computer skills especially in Microsoft office application software and use of computerized accounting systems, such as Sun system, Pastel or SCALA software would constitute added advantage;
- Report writing and presentation skills;
- Confidence and good working relationships with finance and non-finance colleagues within Programme and implementing partners.
The position will be on a contract basis for two (2) years with the possibility for extension depending on performance and availability of funds