Access to affordable, reliable, flexible, and sustainable power is fundamental to modern life. As the world is shifting towards a lower carbon future, GE Gas Power is ready to be your partner in leveraging the role of natural gas for powering the world today and tomorrow. GE’s foundations were laid by Thomas Edison nearly 130 years ago to provide innovative solutions for a wide range of critical problems around the world. GE’s deep-rooted culture serves as the backbone for every step we’ve taken at GE Gas Power. With more than 300,000 employees and operations in over 170 countries, GE employees reflect both the local communities we serve and the people with whom we do business.
Job Title: SSA Region Projects Portfolio Manager
Diversity at GEWe believes diversity makes us more competitive and creates value for our customers, shareholders, and employees. We believe in the value of each person’s unique identity, background, and experiences and are committed to fostering an inclusive culture, where everyone feels empowered to do their best work because they feel accepted, respected and that they belong. By embracing diverse teams and perspectives, we are better equipped to build a world that works.
Our approach to diversity will be based on the following objectives:
- Our employees – to continue to strive to ensure that our workforce is as diverse as the communities we serve, while always upholding the importance of merit.
- Our workplace – fosters an inclusive culture that recognizes employees’ unique needs, helps them reach their full potential and nurtures their diverse talents.
- Our community – strives for diversity in suppliers and partners and engages with the communities in which we operate to support diversity.
As related to customer equipment, facilities, or infrastructure projects: responsible for project delivery, profit & loss accountability, and customer satisfaction through management of project-related activities and resources for Sub-Saharan Africa. Owns/influences budgets and operating plans. The role is guided by operating policy. Works with cross-functional teams. The role has autonomy within the operational area or a segment within a larger business unit. The role may have a major impact on a small business unit or Family within a Function or P&L. High levels of evaluative judgment and operational acumen are required to achieve outcomes.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the SSA Region in all execution matters within SSA being responsible for the successful execution of all types of projects to time, cost, and quality targets within the sub-region leading Teams based across EMEA
- Represent the SSA OTR organization during ITO efforts with the development of detailed Project Execution Strategies
- Exceed customer expectations, enhance customer relationships and assure business credibility and differentiation with employees, customers and other stakeholders
- Demonstrate strategic and tactical knowledge to deliver excellence and drive continuous improvement and compliance
- Ensure rigorous risk management processes are implemented to limit exposure and maximize project results for GPS
- Build relationships with and leverage the Services organization within SSA
- Lead and develop the local projects execution organization
- Liaise with local governmental authorities within SSA to support project execution
- Supports the Balance Of Plant procurement and Technical Direct Installation, Construction & Commissioning organizations to define and negotiate agreements with local supply chain to support extended-scope projects within SSA
- Ensure consistent application of GPS tools and processes applicable to the scope of projects being executed
- Drive process compliance and team seamless coordination between functions
- Manage and document projects lessons learned loop for assigned projects back to Engineering, Planning, Project Management, Procurement and ITO
- Experience in Health and Safety leadership in challenging project environments
- Technical degree from an accredited university or college
- 10 years of experience in leading the execution of complex infrastructure projects in challenging environments, preferably in an EPC environment
- Extensive experience in the negotiation of complex construction contracts and sound commercial understanding of project feasibilities, market differentiators, and the power business generally
- Contract management experience
- Operational rigor in a challenging environment
- Financial acumen
- PMP Certification or equivalent
- Strong project management experience, preferably in an EPC environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the local market and customers
- Drive to set up a strong organization and positively impact the region through entrepreneur mindset, stakeholder management/communication and influential skills, as well as resilience
- Quality Environment Health & Safety skills