Posted on :
25 May, 2023
25 May, 2023
Objectives of the Ghana Academy
The Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences (GAAS) was established by an Act of Parliament in 1959, to encourage the creation, acquisition, dissemination, and utilization of knowledge for national development. It is made up of Fellows who have distinguished themselves in the Arts and Sciences and is led by a Council consisting of a President, Vice-Presidents, an Honorary Secretary and other elected members.
The Academy’s work is administered through a Secretariat consisting of the Executive Secretary and other administrative, secretarial and clerical staff. The Executive Secretary is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Academy under the Honorary Secretary, and drives the strategic plan and other policy directives under the general guidance of the Council.
Position: Communications Officer – Assistant Registrar
Under the Executive Secretary, the Communications Officer is responsible for developing and implementing the Academy’s communication plan and for coordinating and publicizing its public events.
Scope of Work
• Develop strategies to market and brand the Academy;
• Write and distribute various types of content, including material for the Academy’s website;
• Manage the Academy’s social media activities, press releases, marketing material in
consultation with relevant officers;
• Develop newsworthy content out of the Academy’s events and publications;
• Compile relevant material for the Academy’s Annual Report and internal newsletters; and
• Perform any other duties assigned by the Executive Secretary.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Candidates should hold a good first degree and a Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related disciplines;
• Candidates should have at least three (3) years post-qualification experience in any of the disciplines stated above.
• Understand effective graphic design, branding principles and the use of internet and social media platforms as a means of communication;
• Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to craft written and multimedia content related to the Academy’s educational, policy and advisory functions;
• Be a good communicator with excellent interpersonal skills;
• Must be computer literate with knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite software skills; Adobe Creative Cloud software (specifically, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) and Content Management Systems;
• Demonstrated experience and creativity in the design/development of marketing, public
relations or educational programs and communications materials; and
• Must provide professional portfolio including at least three best writing samples and digital communications products, if selected for interview.
Performance-based promotion or until the incumbent reaches the compulsory retirement age of 60 years.
Remuneration: Remuneration is equivalent to that of an Assistant Registrar in a public university in Ghana.
How To Apply For The Job
Applicants are required to submit the complete application pack addressed to the Search Committee, Ghana Academy, through email address:
email@example.com Hard copy applications should also be submitted to the Search Committee at the physical address already indicated.
The application pack whether electronic or hard copy should contain the following:
• Application letter;
• An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae;
• Copies of relevant academic and/or professional certificates; and
• For the positions of Executive Secretary and Procurement Officer, a statement of about 2,500 words indicating how the applicants intend to promote the strategic plan of the Academy.
Closing Date: 31 May, 2023
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.