The Ghana Agricultural Insurance Pool (GAIP) was set up in 2011 to provide agricultural insurance for farmers and financiers of agriculture in Ghana. The Pool is made up of 19 non-life insurance companies in Ghana and it operates under the umbrella of the Ghana Insurers Association (GIA). Details can be found at: www.gaip-info.com
GAIP conducts its day-to-day operations through its operational entity: the Technical Management Unit (TMU). The TMU is responsible, inter alia, for the design and pricing of index insurance products, sales and marketing, reinsurance negotiations, underwriting, as well as claims settlement on behalf of the Pool. The TMU currently employs an underwriter, an agro meteorologist on full time basis. For the purposes of this advertisement, GAIP is seeking the services of a General Manager.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the supervision and management of TMU staff and their work programs (e.g. product development, R&D, marketing, underwriting, claims management, etc.)
- Act as a conduct person responsible for the reinsurance contracts, risk placement and recovery of losses from local and international reinsurers
- Maintain close client contract as well as participating in community and corporate affairs to enhance the TMU and the Pool’s corporate image
- Report agricultural insurance portfolio premiums and claims on a regular basis to the GAIP Pool members and keep the Pool Management Board updated on progress with programme activities. Attend GAIP Management Board meetings and act as the secretary to the board
- In consultation with the Pool Management Board, will be responsible for TMU staff recruitment, capacity development and performance management as well as asset procurement, management and maintenance. Develop and submit for Pool Management Board approval the TMU annual operating plan based on the business plan
A competitive package commensurate with the expected roles and responsibilities will be offered.
Required Skills or Experience
Interested applicants must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Well organised, pro-active, hands-on individual with excellent leadership skills to build team work and coordinate activities and individuals towards attaining organizational objectives
- Entrepreneurial drive and the willingess to scale-up GAIP from a start-up into a profit-making company
- 5-10 years relevant working experience, thereof 5 years in the field of insurance and at least 3 years in a management position
- A relevant Masters Degree; undergraduate degree in agriculture or past working experience in agri-business would be advantageous
- Agricultural insurance knowledge is a plus but not necessary required. The person must be able to familiarize him/herself quickly with the field of agricultural insurance. Training will be provided
- Demonstrable insurance sales management and underwriting experience is required
- A thorough understanding of local insurance regulations, procedures and practices as well as insurance knowledge is required
- Good knowledge and skills in Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
How To Apply
Qualified candidates are requested to send their application with supporting resume including telephone numbers and email addresses to the address below. Your application documents should include a motivation letter clearly indicating why you want to join GAIP and why you are particularly suitable for this position.
Please Note: The successful applicant will be required to start immediately. Please send your applications to: [email protected] or [email protected]