Posted on :
4 May, 2017
4 May, 2017
The Ghana Health Service (GHS) is an autonomous Executive Agency responsible for implementation of national policies under the control of the Minister for Health through its governing Council – the Ghana Health Service Council.
The Ghana Health Service (GHS) is a Public Service body established under Act 525 of 1996 as required by the 1992 constitution. It is an autonomous Executive Agency responsible for implementation of national policies under the control of the Minister for Health through its governing Council – the Ghana Health Service Council. The GHS continue to receive public funds and thus remain within the public sector. However, its employees will no longer be part of the civil service, and GHS managers will no longer be required to follow all civil service rules and procedures. The independence of the GHS is designed primarily to ensure that staffs have a greater degree of managerial flexibility to carry out their responsibilities than would be possible if they remained wholly within the civil service. Ghana Health Service does not include Teaching Hospitals, Private and Mission Hospitals
Job Title: Laboratory Information Systems Specialist (LISS)
Basic Function Of Position
The incumbent is responsible for providing IT support and technical expertise in the implementation of Basic Laboratory Information System (BLIS) for Viral Load (VL) monitoring and data management. The Laboratory Information Systems Specialist will devote 100% of his time to the Ghana Health Service/National AIDS Control Program.
Major Duties And Responsibilities
• Coordinates BLIS implementation program in Ghana
• Generates work plans
• Works closely with Centre for Health Information Management (CHIM) and provide system support to the team
• Analyses the needs of GHS and work to design a system to meet those needs in order for BLIS system to harmoniously function properly with VL PCR machines and IT systems for all VL testing laboratories in Ghana
• Creates intuitive, logical, efficient, scalable and dynamic user interfaces
• Creates and designs very fast, reliable, and easy to use database systems
• Tests the BLIS software for potential performance issues or anomalies.
• Develops maintenance procedures and maintain BLIS system
• Handles implementation at BLIS sites, including assessment, configurations, installation, interfacing, and training
• Assesses, debugs, troubleshoot problems and document as they arise and upgrade the system
• Provides remote and onsite support
• Researches and identifies causes of reported defects and issues
• Documents all tasks to ensure that subsequent users can diagnose and fix any problems that might arise in the system, as well as perform any maintenance
• Performs and assist with quality assurance activities as needed
• Prepares and submit monthly reports of all activities and work plans in a timely manner
• Any other duties assigned by management
Qualification Required & Experience
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
• Required Degree in Health Informatics or relevant area. An advanced degree in Health Informatics will be an added advantage.
• Minimum of 3 years working experience in similar positions.
• Fluency in the English language, both spoken and written is required.
• Comprehensive knowledge and experience of the Ghana national laboratory facilities, health care system and structures, including familiarity with the Ministry of Health (MoH) and Ghana Health Service policies, program priorities and regulations. Good working knowledge of U.S. government public health programs, strategies, methods, processes, and techniques used to plan, develop, implement and evaluate results are required. Good working knowledge of team management, techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities and overall administrative requirements, budgeting and fiscal management in support of contracts/cooperative agreements/grants/purchase requisitions.
• Detailed experience in BLIS configuration, system interphase, training, and upgrades.
• The successful candidate will be expected to exercise ingenuity and tact in applying guidelines to unique and different settings, as the work is highly complex; must be able to lead project teams and workgroups and to develop effective working relationships with national and international partners; must be at least an Intermediate level user of word processing, spreadsheets and databases; and must have an advanced knowledge of statistics and data analysis.
• Good written and oral communication skills; excellent interviewing skills leadership, influencing and persuasion skills; formal presentation and public speaking are required.
How to Apply
Interested persons who meet the above requirement should submit two sets of application with the under-listed documents in A4 size envelope with the position being applied for written at the top left-hand corner of the envelope: • Application letter • Detailed curriculum vitae with names, address and telephone numbers of at least two (2) referees • Copies of academic and professional certificates Applications should be delivered by hand or express mail to
The Director (HRD)
Ghana Health Service
Private Mail Bag Ministries Accra Closing Date: 12
Closing Date: 12 May 2017
Please note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.