Supreme Court Clerk Ghana Job Vacancy
SUPREME COURT CLERKSHIP PROGRAMME WITH SUPPORT FROM THE VIRTUE FOUNDATION INSTITUTE FOR INNOVATION AND PHILANTHROPY IN GHANA, NEW YORK AND IN COLLABORATION WITH THE LEITNER CENTRE FOR INTERNATIONAL LAW AND JUSTICE AT FORDHAM SCHOOL, NEW YORK.
- The Office of the Honourable Lady Chief Justice of the Republic of Ghana, with support from the Virtue Foundation Institute for Innovation and Philanthropy in Ghana and in collaboration with the Leitner Centre for International Law and Supreme Court Clerkship programme in Ghana, is pleased to announce vacancies for the Supreme Court Clerkship programme in Ghana. The Clerkship programme aims at providing Supreme Court Justices with research resource and clerical support in their challenging function.
- The programme is also intended to afford an opportunity for mentoring and the nurturing of talent for the Ghanaian Bench. This year, the programme will focus on women. By attracting exceptionally bright and motivated women law graduates, the clerkship programme intends to provide a platform for the training of highly promising young women whose research, academic excellence and practice would further by working under distinguished Justices of the Supreme Court of Ghana.
- This year, the programme intends to select two (2) Clerks who will be assigned to work under specific Justices for a period of One (1) year in the first instance, subject to renewal for another year based on performance
Remuneration: An attractive remuneration in the form of a monthly allowance will be paid
Required Skills or Experience
- The programme is open to all women Ghanaian law graduates with particular interests in legal research and jurisprudence. Typically, an applicant must have completed her professional legal education with a license to practise law in Ghana. In addition, applicants must possess exceptional credentials and talents capped with a drive and motivation towards legal research and working under a Justice of the Supreme Court. They must be a high moral standing and persons of integrity. Applicants will be required to undergo a rigorous selection process to be finally selected.
- The clerkship programme is a full time programme. Accordingly, a Clerk will not be allowed to take up any other employment during the currency of her tenure as a clerk. Lawyers already in practice are equally encouraged to apply.
- Each selected clerk will be responsible for submitting a 5-page journal entry for every month of service and a final publication upon completion of their clerkship
Interested parties will be required to submit a completed application form together with the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Transcripts and certificates of applicant’s legal education
- Two references, preferably from the former law professors/lecturers and/or employers
- 1,500 word limit essay stating why the applicant is the best candidate for the position
Application packets are available at the Office of the Judicial Secretary, Supreme Court Building, Accra, or Mr Kofi Abotsi, Lecturer, Faculty of Law, KNUST, Kumasi.
The completed application packets should be mailed or physically delivered to the following address:
The Clerkship Programme
C/o The Judicial Secretary
Judicial Service of Ghana
Supreme Court Administration Block
Law Courts Buildings
P O Box 119
High Street, Accra
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted for the next phase of the selection process.
Closing: 16th May, 2011