Posted on :
18 Dec, 2019
18 Dec, 2019
The Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) invites applications from suitably qualified Ghanaians who are goal-oriented, results-driven with good leadership qualities and enthusiasm into the position of Deputy Government Statistician. Social & Population Statistics
Job Title: Deputy Government Statistician (Social & Population Statistics)
• To offer support to the Government Statistician through the provision of strategic leadership for the efficient production and optimal use of social and population statistics at all levels of governance (national, regional and district) and by all other stakeholders for evidence-based decision making culture
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and oversee the implementation of an integrated framework for the transformation of social and population statistics in a manner that responds to national, regional and global development agenda,
• Provide strategic direction and lead the production and use of high quality and relevant social and demography statistics including, but not limited to education, health, living conditions, governance and security, cultural, migration. births and deaths, marriages. population, crime, household characteristics, elections, housing, sanitation, leisure and tourism, personal and household finances;
• Implement an effective data collection operation and drive its transformation, including integration of complete Information and Technology systems, generation of robust data structures (drift from repeated-cross section to longitudinal), complementing survey and administrative data sources; engagement with hybrid modes of data collection procedures such as online, Paper Assisted Personal Interviews, Computed Assisted Personal Interviews and Computer Assisted Telephone Interviews; and modernization of field operation systems.
Redesign the mandate of the Regional Offices to make them more visible through the dispensation of functions including, but not limited to. analysing and disseminating economic, social and once statistics within the regional level
• Coordinate and lead discussions with the regional policy and political leaders on how to use statistics to inform development for the region, identifying resources to improve the work of statistics in the region
• Institute innovative interventions for a catch-up with international standards. coordinate and lead the production of social and population statistics within the national statistical system.
• Build and maintain professional and forward-looking relationships with at government agencies responsible for social and population and statistics and other key user and opinion formers:
• Lead the determination and regular update of the scope, granularity and frequency of social and populations statistics;
• Lead the production of high-quality social statistics for tracking the performance of national, regional and international development agenda. notably the National Coordinated Programme for Economic and Social Development Policies, the Africa Agenda 2063 and the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals
• Generate, publish, and defend all needed social and population statistics for national and global development:
• Estimate and publish projections of relevant social and population statistics.
• Develop systems for linking (within and between) different surveys, censuses and administrative data
• Design and implement monitoring and evaluation systems that uncover staff potential and motivation for optimal growth of GSS in a manner that impacts Ghana’s development agenda
• Provide effective oversight for the conduct of censuses through the design of transformative systems that engender high data quality. timeliness and cast-effectiveness
• Submit authoritative commentary on social and population statistics of Ghana relative to other comparable and benchmarked nations through engagement with media and other key external opinion former
• Initiate, provide evidence and institutionalize public policy discussions on matters related to social and population statistics;
• Develop, lead the implementation, and ensure adherence to codes of practice
• Position and project Ghana Statistical Service on the international pedestal as a leader in the production of quality and policy-needed social and population statistics.
• Develop framework and publish the responsiveness of government agencies’. private sector organisation’s and international development partners’ responsiveness to data production and use for national development;
• Develop periodic performance reports of the various sections under the remit of the Deputy Government Statistician for Social and Population Statistics;
• Make a case for the appropriate funding of socio demographic statistics optimise value for money and ensure probity and good governance in the use of public
Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of a research-based postgraduate degree (at least Master’s degree) in an area related to social and population statistics;
• A minimum of 12 years post qualification work experience in a field related to social and population statistics with at least 5 years in a senior management position;
• Evidence of academic or professional publication and representation on issues related to social and population
Competencies and Skills
• strong record of delivery, including change in relevant analytical fields;
• Experience of leading programme development and research project in a major institution;
• Management and leadership, with good staff performance, mentoring and coaching practices:
• Good inter-personal skills: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; and
• Evidence of technology deployment in the dispensation of professional duties leading to transformation in the modes of operations.
Terms of Appointment
The appointment is for an initial period of four (4) years. renewable upon satisfactory performance_ Applicants must be eligible and capable of serving a full term of four years before attaining the compulsory retiring age of 60 years.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are to submit six copies of the following set of documents. • Application letter which gives evidence of examples of experience based on the enumerated selection criteria: • Detailed curriculum vitae with contact telephone numbers. e-mail address and three referees, including contact details. • Two-page vision statement for the Ghana Statistical Service (GSS); • Brief statement of job responsibilities in current/latest post, and • Any other relevant information The Secretary Ghana Statistical Service Governing Board, Ghana Statistical Service P.O. Box GP 1098 Accra Email to: [email protected]
Closing Date: 31 December, 2019
Qualified women are encouraged to apply