Posted on :
4 Apr, 2019
4 Apr, 2019
The Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) invites applications from suitably qualified Ghanaians, who are goal-oriented, results-driven and possess exceptional leadership qualities for appointment to the position of National Census Coordinator (for the 2020 Population and Housing Census).
Job Title: National Census Coordinator
Ghana shall be organising its decennial Population and Housing Census (PHC) in the year 2020, one of the largest field operations in the national data collection effort. Substantial effort is needed to ensure that the wide-ranging activities of the census are well coordinated, synchronised, timely implemented and dispensed in an inclusive manner to involve the cooperation of all stakeholders, including public institutions at all levels, private sector operatives, community leaders, households and individuals in all regions and districts.
The National Census Coordinator shall have the overall responsibility for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and completion of the 2020 PHC exercise.
Within the organisational structure of the Statistical Service, the National Census Coordinator reports directly to the Government Statistician; working collaboratively with the Deputy Government Statistician for Operations and Deputy Government Statistician for Technical Services to achieve effective coordination of all activities of the 2020 PHC.
Duties and Responsibilities
• The National Census Coordinator shall, under the direct supervision of the Government Statistician, perform the following functions:
Planning and Management of the 2020 Population and Housing Census
• Direct and manage operations and working teams at the Census Secretariat;
• Develop a comprehensive implementation plan for the 2020 PHC programme;
• Develop policies and procedures to support the achievement of the census objectives;
• Manage changes to the scope, schedule, and costs of the 2020 PHC document and implementation plan using appropriate verification techniques;
• Provide technical advice on the organisation and harmonisation of census operations within regular activities of the Service;
• Ensure that all projects are delivered on time, within agreed scope and budget.
Coordination of all activities related to the Census
• Coordinate the overall census activities and programmes;
• Maintain strong coordination and networking among government institutions and development partners;
• Maintain effectual communication with collaborating and funding agencies, as well as the GSS Management, GSS Governing Board, the National Census Steering Committee and the National Census Technical Committee, ensuring prompt provision of required information;
• Ensure productive operational involvement of major stakeholders, such as Regional Coordinating Councils, Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs), relevant ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs);
Development of operational tools, manuals, and guidelines
• Prepare an operational and administrative guide for the operations of the different teams within the Secretariat;
• Prepare data collection instruments and accompanying manuals for the collection of data through interviews, for the listing, demographic and housing modules, and post-enumeration survey;
• Guide the development of a comprehensive set of training materials for supervisors and enumerators at all levels-national, regional, district; covering the different aspects-pilot, main census, and post-enumeration survey;
• Facilitate the configuration of the Computer- Assisted Personal Interview (CAPI) system for data collection.
Staffing, recruitment, and training
• Develop job descriptions for consultants, short-term and other staff designated to the Census Secretariat;
• Assign tasks and responsibilities to consultants, short-term and other staff designated to the Census Secretariat;
• Develop strategies for recruitment, training, and deployment of census officers for field work;
• Ensure sustained capacity building and training of census officers to enhance the census implementation process;
• Recommend the allowances and other payments to census officers and consultant;
• Set up and monitor guidelines for procurement of census equipment and other census materials;
• Evaluate and review the processes and procedures in the data collection methodologies and propose ways to solve any identifiable challenges;
• Direct fieldwork encompassing demarcation, pilot census, census enumeration, post-enumeration survey;
• Review data collection methods and instruments to acceptable standards and propose ways which lead to the harmonisation of such methods and standards;
• Coordinate the processing, storage, archiving and retrieval of census data;
Publicity and communication
• Direct the development and implementation of a strategic plan for the 2020 PHC publicity and communication
• Facilitate effective communication, publicity and education on all aspects of the census;
• Mobillse the support of Ovll Society Organisatlons, community leaders and traditional authorities;
Data analysis and dissemination
• Develop a tabulation plan for Census reports;
• Coordinate the preparation of the census reports at all levels- national, regional and district -, including thematic analytical reports.
• Ensure that the census data/reports are widely disseminated in a user-friendly manner.
• Ensure the timely release of the census data;
Management of resources
• Develop a feasible resource management plan that achieves the goals and objectives of the project and aligns with GSS’s overall business strategy;
• support the mobilisation of technical and financial resources from potential sources-public, private and development partners;
• Ensure availability and productive allocation of resource;
• Monitor and report on budget Implementation;
• Prepare and submit accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual reports;
• Assist with the coordination of budgeting of census programme activities.
Monitoring and evaluation
• Establish mechanisms for systematic monitoring of the census programme;
• Ensure accurate and timely submission of weekly, monthly and quarterly activity progress reports to the Government Statistician;
• Provide updates on progress of implementation of the census programme to the National Census Steering Committee and the GSS Board, through the Government Statistician.
Qualification Required & Experience
The ideal person for this assignment should have the right mix of skills and expertise, including vast experience in the organisation of large field data collection operations.
• At least a master’s degree In Statistics, Demography, Population Studies, Economics, Social Sciences, and related disciplines.
• A minimum of twelve (12) years’ experience, with progressively higher responsibility in a management position, of which at least five (5) years in leadership position in an organisation offering statistical services, research, policy development, monitoring, and evaluation.
• Far-reaching experience in any large-scale statistical operation such as a population and housing census, national demographic survey and living standards survey.
• Experience with advocacy and policy dialogue with development partners, high-level government officials, traditional and religious leaders, and civil society organisations.
Other Requirements for the Position
The eligible candidates should also have demonstrated abilities in these areas:
• Management and leadership, with good staff performance, mentoring and coaching practices,
• Planning and organisation, including experience in project management
• Professionalism, knowledgeable, able to articulate ideas in a concise style, and explain difficult issues to a variety of audiences.
• Excellent organisational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills
• Communication (spoken, written, and public speaking), establishing and maintaining relationships with a broad range of people to achieve results
• Good analytical, report writing and presentation skills.
• Use of CAPl
• Good inter-personal” skills; ability to operate effectively across organisational boundaries.
• Proficiency In the use of office software applications l.e. Excel, Power-point, Word etc.
• Critical thinking and problem solving
• Excellent decision-making and leadership capabilities
• Conflict resolution experience
• Ability to tolerate stress
• Enumeration maps for the country
• Progress Reports to the Government Statistician
• Preliminary Report on the Country’s Population distribution by sex, district, and region
• Complete Results of the 2020 Population and Housing Census:
• Population Characteristics, for the country, regions, and districts
• Housing Characteristics, for the country, regions, and districts
• A series of agreed analytical reports and monographs
• Published Atlas of Census
• Financial reports
Duty Post and Duration
The Coordinator operates from GSS Head Office in Accra, Ghana. The appointment is for a period of two years and involves considerable amount of traveling within the country.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are to submit six copies of the following set of documents:
• Application letter • Detailed curriculum vitae with contact telephone numbers, e-mail address and three referees, including contact details • A brief statement of job responsibilities in current/past positions related to this ‘post • Use of four references (two institutional and two personal) • Any other relevant information Qualified women and people with disability are encouraged to apply. THE GOVERNMENT STATISTICIAN GHANA STATISTICAL SERVICE P. O. BOX GP 1098 ACCRA Email:[email protected]
Closing Date: 11 April, 2019