Gold Fields Ghana Limited (Tarkwa Mine) is seeking to employ an experienced, committed and high-performing professional for the position of Tribologist. The incumbent will ensure a continuous and effective tribology quality management planning within the area of responsibility. He/she will also be responsible for the profitable and safe achievement of set targets and deliverables through the building and maintaining a cohesive, well trained and well-functioning teams.
Job Title: Tribologist (50661)
- Accountable and responsible for the safe achievement of effective tribology quality management system, standards and procedures within the unit as defined and compiled by the Engineering Manager.
- Coordinate root cause failure analysis program to guide and review all mechanical engineering works and designs being performed by contractors/ consultants to ensure quality and consistency with company requirements.
- Work closely with other operations & maintenance personnel to provide engineering support and consultation on an ongoing basis.
- Participate in planning, evaluation, procurement, construction, operation and maintenance of mechanical systems to ensure that the needs of the company are met in the most economical and effective manner.
- Provide leadership, training and support to ensure that employees and contractors comply with safety standards that meet industry practice and all applicable legislative requirements.
- Focus on finding ways and taking responsibility for corrective action by conducting series of tests and fault findings that would eliminate or minimise sudden plant/equipment failures.
- Manage the condition monitoring field, e.g. vibration analysis, thermography, nondestructive testing (NDT), ultrasonic testing (UT), performance monitoring and tribology functions etc.
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry or equivalent qualification from a recognized tertiary institution
- Minimum of five (5) years continuous experience as a Tribologist in a mining environment
- Abreast with applicable or relevant new technology and innovation
- Engineers’ certificate of competency (Inspection Engineer) from Inspectorate Division of the Minerals Commission, Ghana
- Technically competent to perform problem-solving and root cause failure analysis and reports
- Excellent business or commercial acumen and demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant field will be an added advantage
- Medical fitness for the position and environment
- Must possess a valid Ghanaian driver’s license