Gold Fields Ghana is seeking to engage the services of an experienced engineer for the position of Unit Manager – Energy & Carbon. Reporting directly to the VP Projects & Head of Engineering, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership in identifying, facilitating, developing, and implementing site energy and carbon management plans to meet regional and Group objectives and targets.
Job Title: Unit Manager – Energy & Carbon
- Identify and implement energy management best practices within the Gold Fields Ghana operations and community complex, with the goal of improving energy efficiency on an annual basis.
- Provide technical advice to decision-makers in the form of analyses, recommendations and presentations in support of the GFG Energy and Carbon program.
- Develop energy management plans that split their focus between the short and long terms, for both Damang and Tarkwa operations
- Manage annual Energy and Carbon plans by identifying future needs related to historical and current trends and assumptions; monitor expenditure in relation to the budget, continually identify and investigate variances and make necessary adjustments.
- Coordinate all activities related to vendors of our primary and secondary energy sources, including all energy purchase and transportation agreements.
- Establish and manage relationships with key stakeholders and relevant regulatory operators
- Champion industrial accelerator program initiatives, following prescriptive, engineered and custom incentive paths.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly energy and carbon emissions reports for both Tarkwa and Damang mines.
- Provide visible felt leadership (VFL) in safety, Gold Fields values and sustainable development
- Promote cross-functional working relationships using a true team spirit approach, to support business strategy
- Ensure all policies, guidelines, protocols, processes, and resources for energy and carbon management are aligned and communicated across the region.
- Establish and execute a standardized process for project implementation, with reference to site stakeholder engagement, SHE requirements, operational risk management, Supply Chain and BI requirements, and reporting
- Apply technical expertise in the field of energy management to ensure assessments meet required standards
- Provide regular coaching to project teams, and ensure full comprehension of relevant regulations
- Tertiary qualification in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial Engineering or Actuarial Science)
- A Certified Energy Manager’s (CEM) or Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP) qualification
- An advanced degree in business management is an added advantage
- Five (5) years’ demonstrated success in an energy management role with similar level of complexity
- Demonstrated track record in managing energy projects with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Good operational experience in energy management principles in the mining sector
- Advanced data analytics skills, developing key value reports and assessing trends in significant energy use
- A negotiator with a knack for national and regional social, political and cultural topical issues
- Must possess a valid Ghanaian drivers’ license