Job Title: Unit Manager Safety – Risk
- Be in possession of a Grade 12/N3 Qualification or Equivalent.
- Be in possession of a relevant tertiary qualification in Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) or related field.
- Have 10 years’ working experience in OHS in either the mining, petrochemicals, oil and gas, heavy metals, or nuclear industries.
- In-depth knowledge of OHS strategy deployment, risk management, OHS processes & Systems and behaviour-based safety.
- Understanding of OHS systems such as Erms.net / CURA / Bowtie XP / Isometrix software system
- Be declared medically fit for the position and environment, as determined by a risk-based medical examination at the Gold Fields Occupational Health Centre and pass a Heat Tolerance Screening test, and such other tests as may be required to assess the applicant’s suitability for employment.
- Knowledge and understanding of OHS strategies, processes, systems and activities to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of regulatory requirements and international guidelines that govern OHS.
- Knowledge and understanding of the procedures needed to respond to emergency situations.
- Ability to evaluate the physical environment to determine the suitability of measures implemented to protect people and assets.
- Ability to actively manage current and future risks to protect the health of Goldfields employees and communities.
- Ability to identify, assess and manage of safety risks.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret policies and procedures including monitoring their consistent application internally within.
- Data analysis.
- Problem solving.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Coordinate OHS programmes, plans, and activities to ensure a safe and healthy work environment for employees and mitigate hazardous risks.
- Ensure that Group Health and Safety strategies, standards, and best practice as they relate to OHS risk are translated into Mine OHS goals/objectives and initiatives.
- Provide guidance and coordination for the development of OHS policies, processes, systems, and standards, in accordance with regulatory requirements and ICMM principles.
- Assure that the Mine continuously improves their OHS performance, with particular emphasis on critical controls and compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
- Interpret laws, policies, and procedures to ensure the Mine’s OHS risk management programs are in compliance.
- Build Mine-wide support and visibility for risk management and loss control programs and initiatives and obtains stakeholder buy-in on program goals and objectives.
- Accumulate and analyses data and develops comprehensive reports related to the Mine’s OHS risk management programme.
- Serve on a variety of internal committees and/or task forces, which includes coordinating the activities of the OHS Standards Committee and improving its functionality.
- Conduct periodic risk prevention audits of the Mine’s assets and oversees inspections performed by outside agencies.
- Develop and implements initiatives and interventions to build a behavioural based safety culture amongst mine and contractor employees.
- Lead effective investigations of all OHS contraventions, overseeing corrective actions and promoting compliance.
- Lead the training on Issue based risk assessments, incident management and inspections related to the Mine’s OHS risk management program.
- Provide people leadership within the department by managing workload, assigning tasks, and reviewing/recognising out puts of team member.
- Promote cross-functional working relationships, incorporating a true “team spirit” with mutual support to meet the Mine’s objectives.
Please note that the Gold Fields code of conduct strictly prohibits the exchange of any payment as part of its recruitment process.
Gold Fields is committed to the achievement and maintenance of diversity and equity in employment