Golder Associates is seeking for a Senior Rock Engineer with the ability to integrate management and outstanding technical aptitude taking control of all projects from inception to a successful result.
Job Title: Senior Rock Engineer
- Working predominately on projects concerned with rock mechanics, including support and mine design.
- Open pit mine investigation and design experience.
- Collation and analysis of geotechnical data,
- Open pit mine design,
- Geotechnical report writing,
- Provide technical expertise on mining projects concerned with coal and hard rock engineering, such as strata control and mine design.
- Manage consultancy project with in coal and hard rock engineering
- Provide technical and project management expertise in the following areas; research, instrumentation, stress measurement, monitoring, numerical modelling, risk management, underground safety audits, design methods, training, and technology transfer.
- Developing new business and building upon existing and prospective client relations with in Business Unit.
- Developing techniques and methods for solving rock engineering problems with in the mines, often conducting site visits to resolve these issues.
- Ensuring compliance with HSSE procedures and protocols.
- Management and mentoring of junior and intermediate staff,
- Management of drilling contractors,
- Develop client relationships that lead to ongoing work,
- On site supervisory role for geotechnical investigation projects for open pit mines,
- Continued development of key skills in Project Management.
- Deliver quality, on time and within budget.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree with in rock mechanic, mining, engineering, engineering geology or geotechnical engineering
- Sc. or PhD will be advantageous
- Professional Engineer advantageous
- Extensive mining experience essential
- Minimum of 10+ years’ experience either as a consultant or working for a mining company in the field of rock engineering.
- Open pit mine investigation and / or design experience.
- Understanding of African clients in the mining industry.
- Experience in developing site specific geological models.
- MS Word, MS Excel (Advanced), MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook , MS Projects
- Is regarded as an expert in a technical discipline area regionally and internationally.
- Makes complex decisions with input from partners.
- Focus is on projects with significant budgets and complexity, including contract negotiation, identifying strategic needs and provision of technical direction.
- Client focus is on maintaining a broad client base and actively pursuing new business opportunities.
- Displays leadership in technical elements of role, in management of project teams.
- Mentors and coach’s junior and intermediate staff with respect to their career growth and professional development.
- Proactively raise safety issues to the attention of peers, contractors and visitors and assist in seeking resolution to the issues identified.
- Communicates clearly and consistently the importance of health and safety and recognizes those who show the right behaviours..
- Is responsible for ensuring delivery of significant project reports or senior review of complex technical reports.
- May be leading a technical discipline network.
- Set a positive example by identifying and reporting hazards, near misses and incidents.
- Displays a ‘safety first’ focus.
- Influential: known as a lead authority in an area of our business.
- Ability to delegate: willing and able to “let go” of the project management role.
- Strategist: can sense and respond to changes in the market, helps the organisation change and adapt.
- Diplomat: skill in diplomacy, able to tactfully address and resolve difficult situations.
- Ownership attitude: willing to jump in and sort out higher level issues (rather than wait for someone else).
- Strong mentor: actively mentors a number of people in their group or in other groups or offices.
- Client focus: introduces intermediate staff to their existing clients, pursues new business opportunities, and seeks new opportunities through regular client contact, positive networking and cross-selling.
- Technical excellence: involved in professional committees, expert panels, publications and conference organisation.
- Corporate awareness: able to translate global initiatives to the office level, wants to understand what is happening at broader level of organisation.
- Leadership: able to involve others in establishing a shared vision of where the team is going, sets an example by aligning behaviours with values.