Guinness Ghana Breweries is a Ghanaian brewery based at the Kaasai Industrial Area in Kumasi. They are listed on the stock index of the Ghana Stock Exchange, the GSE All-Share Index. It formed in 1991.When production started at its inception, the company produced only Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, popularly known as Guinness. The primary depot was at the same position with stores across the country particularly in the south. In 1988/89 another brand, this time non-alcoholic beverage, Malta Guinness was introduced and that became an instant hit capturing almost 70% of that market.
Job Title: Marketing & Innovations Director
The Marketing and Innovation Director is a senior leadership role and is a key member of the Ghana Leadership team, reporting into the General Manager.Ghana is a complex and aggressive market, with Diageo competing in a high number of market sectors, against a very aggressive competitor set.We are market leaders in beer, malt drinks, and premium spirits – but all positions are under pressure, requiring strong marketing leadership in order to not only retain our market share but grow it. We have successfully launched into mainstream spirits, gaining significant share, but this has stimulated a strong competitive response.In addition to Diageo’s brands, this business also manages the Heineken brands in the market, with limited support from the Heineken business.This requires, therefore, a seasoned marketing leader, able to deal with the differing complexities of the challenges being faced, leading “create” on global brands and leading the innovation agenda on new brands for Diageo in Africa.
- Owner of the Marketing Strategy and Vision for the business
- Clearly defines the strategy to win the business, in response to the external environment
- Seeks to not only Win in the market today but also to shape the market and consumer, so that Diageo is positioned to Win in the long term
- Engages and enthuses the team behind the strategy
- Clearly, defines what choices are being made in service of this strategy and manages the implications of this
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Further degree or post-grad with a marketing focus desirable.
- Min of 10 years’ experience in blue chip multinational FMCGs in both marketing & Sales roles with involvement in broad commercial issues.
- Demonstrable experience in the development and execution of outstanding marketing programs based on consumer insights.
- Demonstrable experience in the development and introduction of new products and marketing opportunities and brand repositioning.
- Ability to Influence senior teams.
- Multi-cultural exposure.
- Lead the creation of the strategic marketing vision for the business, creating a clear 3-year plan for evolution of our category participation strategy
- Lead the annual brand planning process, to deliver increased value of our brands and beat the competition through superior strategic choices and clear execution standards
- Provide leadership in building brand equity through delivering brilliant execution of marketing and innovation plans to achieve brand priorities and Annual Operating Plan (AOP), consistently winning market share and beating the competition.
- Lead the innovation planning and execution for the market, in order to deliver the overall strategic vision for the business
- Create positive step change in marketing capabilities through internal programs (eg. Code of Business Conduct – CoBC, Diageo Way of Brand Building – DWBB) and external benchmarking.
- Ensure compliance with marketing code and champion responsible drinking agenda