Health is the level of functional or metabolic efficiency of a living organism. In humans it is the ability of individuals or communities to adapt and self-manage when facing physical, mental or social challenges. The World Health Organization (WHO) defined health in its broader sense in its 1948 constitution as “a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. This definition has been subject to controversy, in particular as lacking operational value and because of the problem created by use of the word “complete”.Other definitions have been proposed, among which a recent definition that correlates health and personal satisfaction.Classification systems such as the WHO Family of International Classifications, including the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) and the International Classification of Diseases (ICD), are commonly used to define and measure the components of health
Our client, a global health Non-Governmental Organization with the aim of improving the health of people in developing countries is seeking to hire a highly proactive Director of Finance to aid their operations in Ghana.
Job Title: Director of Finance
The successful candidate will be responsible for accounting, finance, audits and provide technical support, supervision, guidance and leadership.
He or she will play a key role in ensuring compliance to donor rules and regulations, the organization’s global policies and accounting procedures.
Responsible for reviewing monthly financial statements and reconciliations and ensuring timely submission of monthly financial reports to the organization’s headquarters.
Responsible for routine approval of financial transactions as specified in the authority matrix and for providing timely and reliable financial information to the management team for effective decision making.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute to organizational strategic planning and goal setting in line with the organization’s global strategic plan;
- Maintain sound financial systems and policies in line with GAAP, organization’s policy, funder regulations, and local law;
- Provide assurance that records and controls are sufficient to ensure the accuracy and reliability of financial information.
- Work closely with the Country Director to build business strategy for social enterprise activities.
- Liaise with headquarters for training, reporting, problem-solving, system issues and other needs as they arise;
- Build the capacity of both finance and non-finance staff; support the capacity building of sub-awardees;
- Set individual goals that are specific, measurable and time-bound for finance staff;
- Coach finance staff to achieve goals and professional growth;
- Manage projects and initiatives, including getting buy-in from stakeholders and following up to ensure implementation;
- Lead change management when implementing new processes and systems;
- Promote and demonstrate an ethical environment, in line with organization’s values of honesty and acting with integrity;
- Enforce the application of appropriate procedures and internal controls.
- Prepare the monthly financial certification package including all supporting schedules and the trial balance;
- Review and approve donor bills and funder financial reports prepared by headquarters;
- Liaise with funders on financial matters; support good relationships with funders;
- Ensure timely submission of all statutory reports including tax returns.
- Support budget and proposal development by supplying timely and accurate financial information to program teams;
- Support budget monitoring and re-alignment by supplying timely and accurate financial information to program teams;
- Support the development of the annual operating budget (AOB) by headquarters.
- Understand the relevant legislative, internal and donor policies and take the lead in compliance management.
- Ensure that policy, process and procedure manuals as well as forms and workflows are kept up to date;
- Ensure that accounting entries and financial reports comply with GAAP, organization’s policy, funder regulations and local law;
- In collaboration with legal counsel, minimize legal risk to the organization and address any legal issues that arise.
- Oversee all internal and external audits;
- Prepare management comments for audit reports;
- Create and implement action plans to remediate audit findings;
- Manage relationships with internal and external auditors;
- Prepare documentation to support audit samples;
- Review and approve documentation to support audit samples.
- Review and approve Operating Advance Requests (OARs) for cash advances from headquarters;
- Manage cash flow in the country office and maintain relationships with local banks;
- Reconcile bank accounts daily or weekly using online statements, and monthly using paper statements;
- Recommend innovative ways to minimize cash risks using new technologies such as online banking and mobile money.
- Review and approve AP vouchers;
- Review and approve AP payment batches;
- Review and approve travel, sub-recipient, and salary advances, and pre-payments to vendors.
- Review and approve supporting schedules, aging reports and reconciliations of sub-ledger to GL at monthly close;
- Review and approve monthly accruals, allocations and amortizations (e.g. fringe benefits, common direct costs and prepaid expenses);
- Review and approve correcting journal entries;
- Prepare ad hoc reports as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills or Experience
MBA with Finance specialty or Chartered Accountant is preferred
At least 5 years of relevant experience working on a senior management level
- Working knowledge of integrated, accrual-basis accounting systems such as QuickBooks Enterprise, Lawson, or another ERP
- Working knowledge of US government rules and regulations for cooperative agreements
- Excel, advanced (VLOOKUP, SUMIF, TRIM and MID formulas; “&” operator; pivot tables and pivot charts)
- Fluency in Portuguese and English required;
- Ability to manage complexity and balance priorities in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to partner and communicate easily with non-finance functions
How to Apply
To apply send CVs to [email protected]