Posted on :
8 Jan, 2018
8 Jan, 2018
Sets strategy, plans, directs and manages the expansion of Hilton Brands through the issuance of a management agreement or the sale of franchise licenses for new hotels or qualified conversions of existing hotel units in Western & Central Africa and elsewhere as determined by the VP Development for SSA. Ensures all development goals, key measurements and targets are met or exceeded. Develops and implements the development sales strategy for the Western Africa region. Participates and/or approves all franchise sales collateral. Works with VP to manage the content of the franchise development website. Approves all franchise licenses and management contracts that conform to approval guidelines and prepares committee documents for all deals that need a further level of approval.
Job Title: Senior Development Director, West Africa (based in Ghana or Nigeria) (JOB NUMBER: MEA011AT)
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
With thousands of hotels in over 100 countries and territories, Hilton offers countless opportunities to delight. From an open door to a welcoming smile and an exceptional experience, we offer the millions of travellers who stay with us every year a welcome they will never forget. If you appreciate the impact global travel can have on the world you may be just the person we are looking for to work as a Hilton Team Member. Because it’s with Hilton where we never forget the reason we’re here: to delight our guests, Team Members, and owners alike.
What will I be doing?
• Helps establish strategies and directions for the development team to promote the effectiveness and efficiency of the organization.
• Evaluates and identifies business opportunities for further expansion of our brands and directs accordingly.
• Assists the strategic planning, development and coordination of SSA sales activities, with a particular focus on West/Central Africa, to advance Company goals, while communicating key messages to internal and external stakeholders.
• Helps set long term goals for the SSA team that become the basis for short term goals and annual operational planning.
• Helps determine the appropriate objectives for the business and how those objectives are going to be accomplished.
• Helps establish procedures and processes in relation to the development goals.
• Works with Brand, Project Management, Regional Human Resources, Legal and Finance leadership to ensure the overall strategic direction of the Development team is consistent with and supported by these areas.
• Works with key stakeholders and departments within the Global Design, Real Estate Group, and Regional Operations structuring the resources and activities of the SSA team so objectives are accomplished.
• Leads the grouping and assignment of tasks, while ensuring optimal allocation of resources.
• Establishes the flow of authority and communication between position and levels within the organization.
• Streamlines business processes to maximize efficiency and effectiveness within the department.
• Implements measurements of company policy to ensure effectiveness, usage and awareness.
• Works with the SSA Development team and VP Development SSA to close high profile or complicated development deals, specifically in the Western Africa region.
• Works to expand the relationship with existing and new key owners.
• Influences division, departments and individual team members to accomplish the organization’s mission, goals and objectives through motivation, communication, group dynamics and leadership.
• Works with others within the region on goals to assist in accomplishing department initiatives, and their own career objectives.
• Oversees proper controls to ensure that the reported performance numbers are correct and transparent.
• Oversees and evaluates systems to ensure proper reporting.
• Translates organizational goals and objectives into performance standards for division, departments and individual positions.
• Assesses actual performance against standards to determine whether the department is on target to reach its goals and takes corrective actions as necessary.
• Works with regional corporate senior team to support possible management contract agreements.
• Ensures business plan and goals are being followed and achieved, providing feedback or revising the plan, if needed.
• Establishes and enforces policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the Company.
• Ensures return on invested capital and time resources.
• Ensures the team works globally within many cultures and markets.
• Works with the VP to set and approve the departmental budget.
• Reviews and makes appropriate adjustments in activities and expenses throughout the fiscal year to ensure optimal financial results.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
• Attend and participate in local and regional industry events
Any and all other job duties as assigned.
What are we looking for?
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Ability to close franchise and management contract deals as needed and assist the team in doing so
• Excellent presentation and public speaking skills; includes ability to identify message points for presentations and ability to proactively identify appropriate opportunities to share those messages with all constituent groups.
Ability to initiate and direct collaborative efforts of multiple teams throughout the Hilton organization, including internal resources, external resources and other
• constituent groups as appropriate with aim of furthering Company goals. This includes establishing and maintaining regular communications with Hilton operations teams, brands, and other constituent groups as appropriate.
• Ability to analyze departmental financial data in order to make strategic and tactical decisions.
• Set standards for leadership by example, including ability to effect change, resolve conflicts and ensure collaboration within appropriate executive levels of enterprise; includes maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity.
• Absolute discretion and confidentiality regarding sensitive information.
• Ability to take initiative to identify, prioritize and implement all elements required for team to fulfill responsibilities in keeping with core strategic goals.
• Strong problem solving skills, including ability to effectively address any issue in collaboration with others as appropriate; ability to proactively identify and prevent potential problems; ability to develop problem solving skills among direct reports and other team members as appropriate.
• Ability to advocate and implement professional development for self, direct reports and others, including capability to work with peers and other resources to provide development and mentoring opportunities; includes adherence to organization’s standards for performance feedback.
• Ability to evaluate and identify opportunities from a strategic perspective, including ability to develop, prioritize and implement plans to meet organization’s core strategic goals.
What benefits will I receive?
Your benefits will include a competitive starting salary and holiday entitlement. As an employee you will become a member of the Go Hilton Team Member Travel Program, which provides reduced hotel room rates for you, your family & friends! We look forward to explaining in detail the range of excellent benefits that you would expect from a global hotel organization like Hilton.
• Fluency in English
• Four (4) year college degree or significant work experience in lieu thereof
• Significant experience in market planning, management contract negotiations and franchise sales roles
• Ability to travel as required
• Advanced degree preferred
• Ten (10) years of hospitality industry experience preferred, with a mix of experience from other real estate roles
• In-depth knowledge of management contracts and franchise license agreements