The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is a public international organization that focuses on increasing and sustaining food and agricultural productivity in developing countries through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise. The Feed the Future Enhancing Growth through Regional Agricultural Input Systems (EnGRAIS) for West Africa Project is a 5-year, USAID-funded activity with the objective of sustainably increasing regional availability and use of appropriate and affordable fertilizers through 3 intermediate results (IRs), namely: private sector development (IR1), improving demand (IR2) and creating an enabling policy and regulatory environment (IR3). EnGRAIS is seeking to recruit 2 Sub-Regional Liaisons (SRLs) for coverage of 2 different groups of a mix of Anglophone and Francophone countries each in the West African sub-region. The SRLs will work closely with the entire program team to facilitate the implementation of the program’s interventions in these groups of countries. Specifically, the SRLs will play the lead role in the implementation of EnGRAIS activities in the respective countries/sub-region they cover.
Job Title: Sub-Regional Liaisons – West Africa
Duties And Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts with key partners (governments, private sector, USAID bilateral programs, ECOWAS, UEMOA, CILSS, etc.)
- Work on project implementation across all IRs in their sub-region/covered countries, coordinating and sharing all relevant information with the IRTLs to ensure effective management and coordination of EnGRAIS activities.
- Ensure that any EnGRAIS implementing or other partners are properly executing activities and meeting contractual obligations, including the judicious use of EnGRAIS funding and timely production and submission of required reports.
- Develop annual workplans and budgets that outline deliverables and specific targets to be achieved.
- Develop monthly activity and budget plans for activities to be carried out in their respective coverage countries and at the regional level where applicable.
- Implement planned activities and achieve assigned deliverables/targets for which responsible.
- Provide monthly reports or as otherwise determined containing the results obtained and the expected results for the following month in accordance with the targets set.
- Assist in the preparation of technical and periodic reports of the program.
- Undertake other activities as assigned by the supervisor or the COP.
Required Qualifications And Skills
The SRL must demonstrate leadership, regional expertise in program management, and work experience in both the public and private sectors. He/she must also have experience in developing public-private partnerships (PPPs). Specifically, the successful candidate will have the following qualification and experience:
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, agronomy, agricultural economics or any other related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in the fertilizer sector in West Africa.
- Have a good understanding of fertilizer private sector, recommendation and/or policy issues (subsidy programs and quality control regulations) in the ECOWAS region.
- Have a good knowledge of the agricultural policy in West Africa.
- Ability to collect, analyze, summarize and compile information and data.
- Ability to develop and maintain a network of contacts as well as be comfortable to discuss with the private sector, authorities and regional and national partners.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent knowledge of computer tools and particularly use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in at least English and French if covering francophone countries.
- Working knowledge of project M&E.
- Monthly reports/updates or as otherwise determined on activities progress in the respective countries including recommendations for a better planning and implementation.