Posted on :
28 Aug, 2017
28 Aug, 2017
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition in developing countries. Established in 1975, IFPRI currently has more than 600 employees working in over 50 countries. It is a research center of CGIAR, a worldwide partnership engaged in agricultural research for development.
Job Title: Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as an Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow to work under Ghana Strategy Support Program (GSSP) for a two-year, fixed-term, renewable appointment. This position will be based in Accra, Ghana and
This position will be based in Accra, Ghana and reports to the Director of the Development Strategy and Governance (DSG) Division based at IFPRI
headquarters in Washington DC. Grade level will be determined by demonstrated expertise and experience.
The program has a focus on strategy and policy issues in relation to agricultural growth, food systems, rural transformation, and poverty reduction in the context of broad economic transformation with attention to labor markets and agro-industryy.
It is anticipated that about 25 percent of the job will be allocated to policy dialogue/engagement and the other 75 percent to research, capacity-building, and outreach activities related to the country program.
The Fellow will participate in or lead research projects, publish peer-reviewed papers/books, draft policy notes/briefs based on research findings, and participate in various conferences, policy advisory forums, and capacity strengthening training programs.
The Fellow/Senior Fellow will be responsible for:
a) Conducting research, policy advice, capacity strengthening and policy communications in Ghana on the strategic issues of agricultural and rural transformation and poverty reduction, and
b) Support the GSSP leader to coordinate IFPRI’s country strategy program in that country. The Fellow would be responsible for timely completion of research projects, actively publish papers/books, and participate in various conferences, policy advisory forums, and capacity strengthening programs.
More specifically, it includes the following responsibilities:
Research and Capacity-Building: Leading or participating in specific empirical research and synthesis on special studies based on identified program of work; organizing or providing support to targeted training programs; and coordinating with Washington-based staff on specific research and training activities
that fall within GSSP;
Research Coordination: Assisting the GSSP leader to coordinate research related to the country strategy program with IFPRI research and outreach staff (both local and Washington-based); liaising with donor and government stakeholders; recruiting and managing national collaborators on a need basis;
Policy Communication and Liaison: Maintaining active policy communication with national counterparts through participation in sector coordination forums, policy briefs, and other fora; establishing active links with various national research institutions; and liaising with donors on regular basis.
Ph.D. in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Public Policy, Public Finance or closely related field.
Five or more years of post-PhD research and outreach experience in agricultural and economic policy issues, with internationally recognized
Experience in policy dialogue or in a policy advisor position, and strong team-building, managerial and networking skills.
Demonstrated ability in effective interactions in a multicultural and multi-disciplinary setting with a variety of stakeholders, including government and civil society actors.
Demonstrated ability to publish in high-ranking peer-reviewed journals.
Ability to multi-task, work in a dynamic environment, take initiatives to resolve issues and effectively work with minimal supervision.
Demonstrated experience supervising staff.
Knowledge and experience working in Africa.
Ability to work across disciplines and cultures.
Excellent written and spoken English.
Knowledge of and experience working in Ghana
Experience working with national ministries
Proven record of fundraising success for projects