International Community School Ghana is a world-class institution providing students with an inclusive holistic and international education needed to succeed in college/university and become a patriotic leader.
We educate confident, responsible and engaged learners from pre-school through to high school. Our students take the Cambridge International Exams, IGCSE and the AS/A Level Exams.
Job Title: Emotional Counselor
Employer Name: International Community School
Employment Start Date: April 2020
School/Campus: Accra New Campus
We are looking to recruit a full time emotional counselor for the Accra Campus. The Counselor will report directly to the Head of the Counselling Unit, but liaise with the Principal, and the Heads of School to ensure the emotional and behavioral well-being of students attending ICS. He/ She will also work in conjunction with the Senior Guidance Counselor to successfully guide students and parents through the university application process, as well as the financial aid, scholarship, and student visa processes.
Essential Duties-University Guidance
- Write Counselor recommendations for 40-50 students annually
- Teach students, teachers, and parents how to go about writing common app prompts, personal statements, and teacher recommendations by holding writing workshops, individual and group training sessions, and creating resources to aid the process
- Edit all personal statements, essays, teacher & counselor recommendations, as well as various other college application materials
- Hold consistent one-on-one appointments with Lower and Upper Six students to guide them through the college application process and keep track of their progress. Work alongside educational partnerships such as Education USA and Shore Light Education to increase university visits and student applications/attendance to International universities.
- Create and give presentations for parents and students to guide them through the college application process as well as its various branches – i.e. personal statement writing, UCAS, building an application profile, etc.
- Do continual research to expand scholarship and financial aid opportunities for International students focused on studying abroad.
Essential Duties – Emotional Guidance and Counselling
- Provide individual and group counseling services to meet the educational, developmental and preventive needs of students
- Observe, monitor and track student academic transition through and across school years to identify hidden issues that need attention for counseling
- Provide emotional and behavioral counseling for students that have been referred to the counseling by an ICS staff and/or faculty member, or parent.
- Do classroom observations as requested/needed to aid in the counseling process.
- Work alongside the Behavioral Management team to improve and maintain the behavior of students within the school.
- Provide individual and group counseling to students with identified concerns, needs and personal trauma.
- Provide a leading support role in crisis management situations.
Professional Practice and Development
- Adhere to the ethical standards of the counseling profession.
- Participate in staff development programs to upgrade professional knowledge and skills when needed.
How To Apply
Kindly submit your CV and a cover letter, a letter of recommendation from your current Head and contact of two references who will be contacted if shortlisted. Applications will be acknowledged within three working days of submission. Only applicants with a minimum of three years teaching experience in the Cambridge Curriculum would be shortlisted to participate in the exams writing, teaching demonstration and interview. All appointments are subject to identity checks, criminal record checks and successful references.
Submit queries, if any and your completed application to [email protected] / [email protected]