IJM is seeking a talented Community Mobilization Specialist to join a multi-disciplinary team in the fight against forced labour trafficking of children in Ghana. The primary role of the Community Mobilization Specialist is to build grassroots relationships, mobilize communities and key power actors at the local level to support IJM’s casework and the fight to end child trafficking on the Volta Lake. This position is based in Accra, Ghana and reports to the Director of Church & Community Relations.
Job Title: Community Mobilization Specialist
- Identify and build strategic relationships between IJM and local government authorities within source and destination communities in Ghana.
- Influence local authorities to prioritize issues of child trafficking in their Medium Term Development Plan (MDTP).
- Engage and support local authorities within source and destination communities to implement targeted social intervention programs that seeks to end child trafficking.
- Engage local authorities to support IJMs approach in the fight against child trafficking by supporting rescue, arrest, restoration, prosecution and reintegration.
- Facilitate the development and enforcement of local legislations that prohibits child trafficking.
- Develop strategic relationships with key traditional leaders within source and destination communities.
- Educate traditional leaders on child trafficking and influence them to become advocates.
- Influence traditional leaders to develop and enforce community by-laws that prohibit child trafficking.
- Engage traditional leaders and other opinion leaders to mobilize their communities for an end to child trafficking.
- Organize local outreaches to sensitize and equip communities on child trafficking.
- Strategically map-out vulnerable communities with prevalence of child trafficking cases in source and destination communities.
- Map-out key community influencers for relationship building.
- Support in developing strategic relationships for case referrals, community entry, law enforcement, and reintegration.
- Develop relationships with community based organizations, groups, and churches and influence them to become advocates and supporters of IJM’s work
- Speak in churches on Biblical Justice and Child Trafficking.
- Develop and implement local advocacy campaigns on child trafficking in collaboration with strategic community leaders, groups, organizations and churches.
- Perform any other responsibilities that maybe assigned by supervisor.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study from an accredited university.
- Graduate degree preferable, but not required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with local government authorities, community groups, civil society groups and churches.
- Experience working with media preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to articulate IJM’s mission and position persuasively to diverse audiences.
- Excellent analytical/problem-solving skills and detail orientation.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects.
- Experience finding creative ways to optimize limited resources.
- Mature team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience in mobilizing and influencing communities for a cause.
- Experience in networking with opinion leaders and strategic influential people/groups.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed.
- A genuine passion for IJM and for biblical justice.
- High level of honesty and integrity.
- Adept at personalized care and service for a variety of stakeholders.
- Personable; creative; bridge builder and strategist.
- Savvy about people, organizations and settings.
- Self-starter with strong initiative.
The mission of International Justice Mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.