Posted on :
4 Nov, 2022
4 Nov, 2022
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), a CGIAR Research Center is looking for a competent, self-motivated, and dynamic candidate to join IWMI’s West Africa Office in Accra, Ghana as a Junior Research Officer.
Job Title: Junior Research Officer
As a Junior Research Officer, the position holder will assist in the organization and implementation of field activities (such as data collection, community mobilization, grassroots stakeholder consultation and surveys) in Ghana.
Northern Ghana serves as the agricultural production hub of the country, and unlike the south where two rainfall patterns are experienced; the north has only one rainy season within which farmers maximize production before the dry season sets in. The rainy season also comes with challenges such as heavy floods, which destroy farmlands, farm produce and infrastructure. Irrigation development offers the promise of food security and poverty alleviation in northern Ghana. However, most Rivers and some shallow groundwater normally dry up before the end of the dry season. Via several projects, IWMI team collaborate with other stakeholders to test, validate and scale water management technologies and practices to increase water productivity under irrigated conditions.
Duties And Responsibilities:
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent communication (oral and written) skills in English and local Ghanaian language;
• The ability/willingness to spend long periods of time working in the field;
• The ability to function effectively and reliably in carrying out duties, and to take initiative in the absence of a readily accessible supervisor;
• Very good communication and interpersonal skills;
• Well-developed personal organization and priority setting skills;
• The capacity to deliver and receive analytical criticism constructively, and provide effective feedback;
• An effective and transparent approach to sharing information;
• The capacity for working harmoniously in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams, and the ability to interact effectively with officials of other agencies; and
This is a nationally recruited position and only candidates who are eligible to work in Ghana will be considered. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package, inclusive of health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, and long-term disability coverage. The duration of the contract will initially be for a period of two years with the possibility of extension