The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for highly motivated and experienced individuals to join its West Africa office in Accra, Ghana, to support the Resilience against Climate Change: Social Transformation Research (REACH-STR) project and related research activities. The REACH project is focused on climate change adaptation and mitigation for rural livelihoods in the savannah ecosystem in Ghana.Reporting to the REACH Project Leader, the position holder will be responsible for the implementation of field and related research activities of the Resilience against Climate Change: Social Transformation Research (REACH-STR) project in Ghana.
Job Title: Researcher – Project Coordinator
Duties and Responsibilities:
Research coordination and support
- Manage the REACH-STR project in Ghana.
- Oversee project implementation, liaison across the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) team and take responsibility for ensuring that all project deliverables are of a high quality.
- Lead and participate in field activities.
- Manage project budget lines effectively, and ensure compliance with all necessary policies and procedures of IWMI and the donors.
- Contribute to the project work streams, including gender, migration and resilience aspects of social transformation; from research design to data collection, analysis and scientific reporting.
Project management and reporting
- Based on an agreed work plan, initiate the REACH-STR project work package implementation, including monitoring progress, liaising with all partners, and reporting on progress both internally and externally.
- Support the Country Representative in liaising closely with the European Union Delegation in Accra on project progress, communications and reporting.
- Establish effective working relationships with all national and international partners, including the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)-led components (in particular), and leads of other REACH-STR work streams on resilience and migration.
- Represent and promote the REACH-STR project both internally ‑ within IWMI, the CGIAR Research Program (CRP) on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE), other CGIAR centers and CRPs as appropriate as well as nationally within the Ghana policy context and internationally.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A PhD (or equivalent level of qualification) in a social science or related discipline.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in research and project management within a development context.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proven project management experience in social science or related research in developing country contexts, preferably Ghana.
- Good understanding of social transformation issues and proven practical experience in working on such issues.
- Experience in project reporting for development partners such as the European Union.
- Knowledge of social science research practices and methodologies.
- Spoken and written fluency in English language
- Knowledge of local languages.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation techniques.
- Capacity to work under pressure, manage teams effectively and deliver effective performance across all team members.
- Proven commitment to gender equality and wider knowledge of youth and inclusion issues in Ghana.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications, including database management and PowerPoint presentations.
This is a nationally recruited staff positions and only Ghanaian citizens are encouraged to apply. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes transport and health insurance. The duration of the contract will be for a three-year period with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds.