Posted on :
18 Jan, 2017
18 Jan, 2017
The British-based multinational banking and financial services group Standard Chartered has had a presence in Ghana since the 1890s. Today it has 27 branches across the country, 56 ATMs and 1,000 employees. Banking services are available for individuals, businesses, corporations and institutions. The range of products that it offers includes savings accounts, current accounts, fixed term deposit accounts, foreign currency accounts, debit cards, loans and insurance.
Job Title: Business Operational Risk Manager
1.Assist Business Unit Head and SORO to implement an effective Operational Risk Framework (ORF) within the business unit to ensure operational risks and controls are being managed appropriately at the business unit level in a proactive, risk based and disciplined manner to meet external, internal and regulatory requirements.
2. As the first line of assurance, manage and implement ORF across the business unit, execute the first line sampling testing model, report on and analyze operational risks profile to RBBORF and Group RB.
3. Ensure proper functioning of day-to-day controls, periodic monitoring activities, and timely identification and resolution of risk issues.
4. Promote a strong operational risk management and compliance culture through ORF and business engagement.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Implement & Monitor ORF
1. Ensure adherence to the ORF in the identification, assessment, mitigation and control and monitoring of risk. Ensure sufficient traction and follow through management actions to mitigate identified operational risks exposure.
2. Ensure that relevant Group and Business policies are effectively embedded within business unit. Facilitate the implementation of related Control Sample Test (CST), Key Control Indicators, Key Risk Indicators (KRI) and monitoring plans for compliance and operational risk management.
3. Ensure consistent deployment and execution of CST KCI and KRI within Business Unit.
4. Ensure losses, risk events, policy deviations, CST, KCI & KRI exceptions, are recorded, reviewed and reported. Engage appropriate stakeholders to ensure timely remedial actions and escalation of situations that pose significant risk.
5. Assist Unit Head in the implementation of OR framework or other relevant OR initiatives.
Exposure Review / Investigation
6. Participate in the investigation / review of negative operational risk exposure (internal and external) as it arises.
7. Value-add to the business unit by identifying new, thematic and developing risks, providing operational risk advice through ORF and ad hoc reviews (Accountability reviews, Lessons Learnt reviews, Process / Control reviews) at the unit level or participating in reviews driven by the Group Business level based on thematic issues using forward looking based programmes.
Design and Setup
8. Assist in identifying risks in product process changes. Ensure that the operational risk implications of changes (Product Approval Document) are anticipated and clearly signalled to appropriate stakeholders. Escalate to appropriate stakeholders when operational risks threaten to breach tolerances.
Engaging the Business
9. As a key member in the monthly RBBORF meetings, to review and monitor OR Profile and exposure of the business unit.
10. Prepare Value Stream OR Profile with appropriate analysis, relevant loss and risk reporting for RBBORF. Ensure timely, accurate submission of risk information to Country OR Head and Functional BORM.
11. Facilitate the socialisation of audit round up / control issues in RB and obtain attestation from relevant business head.
12. Ensure to perform theme reviews within the business on a regular basis (monthly; quarterly)
13. Ensure proper follow up of issues raised by Group Internal Audit.
14. Coordinate training efforts to promote risk management and compliance culture within the Business unit. Ensure gaps are identified and staffs are suitably informed on operational risk and compliance.
15. Ensure risk and loss information are inputted into Phoenix, and escalation where action is not taken.
16. Prepare Monthly GL/Phoenix Loss reconciliation and Conduct investigations for duplicated or outstanding items with Finance.
17. Assist in the preparation of KRI for Africa, Middle East (AME) Region
18. Assist in uploading determined Residual Risk Rating (RRR) into KNOX
Qualifications and Skills
* Minimum entry requirement 1st Degree & Masters Degree
* Strong operational excellence
* Sound PC knowledge
* Excellent and accurate inputting & writing skills
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills
* Energy and drive
* Sound knowledge of administrative / operational procedures
* Relevant academic and work experience