Posted on :
14 Aug, 2018
14 Aug, 2018
Deadline for Applications: 4 weeks from day of publication.
The office of the United Nations World Food Programme, invites applications from suitable candidates to fill the vacancy below.
Job Title: Nutritionist Duration: 1 year fixed Term (renewable)
Post Grade: NOB Duty Station: Tamale
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office in Tamale, the functional supervision from the Nutritionist based in Accra, and overall supervision of the Country Director, the Nutritionist will be expected to perform the following duties:
To provide support and technical analyses to nutrition policy and programme activities that effectively meet the nutritional needs of vulnerable people.
1. Contribute to the development, implementation, and monitoring of nutrition-specific and nutrition sensitive policies, strategies, programmes, projects and activities, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider nutrition policies and guidance.
2. Provide project management support to nutrition programmes, projects and activities, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes and projects that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
3. Coordinate the implementation of nutrition-related interventions in Northern Ghana and liaise with Implementing Partners and Service Providers to monitor ongoing projects, ensuring effective collaboration, timeliness and efficiency, and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
4. Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners including government to prepare for and respond to nutrition needs including support to government on nutrition-related policies, strategies, plans, guidelines, manuals etc.
5. Provide support for operational partnerships, including the identification of potential partners and inter-agency collaboration, to ensure a strong multi-sectoral response to nutrition and represent WFP on relevant committees and fora including inter-agency sub-committees.
6. Track and analyse nutrition-related data and prepare accurate and timely reporting and learning, contributing to a knowledge base that informs decision making of WFP and other stakeholders.
7. Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners including government including support related to nutrition policies, strategies, action plans, protocols, guidelines, manuals etc. in compliance with international guidance and current evidence and in line with multi-stakeholder platforms guidance.
8. Perform any other duties as required.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
• Minimum of three years’ experience working in nutrition and/or public health related activities.
• Experience in Social and Behaviour Change Communication, Nutrition Counselling, Nutrition Education, or Health Promotion is a must.
• Experience in Formative Research, Nutrition Monitoring and Evaluation including nutrition assessments including SMART Methodology and data and statistical analysis is a must.
• Experience in managing nutrition programmes and developing nutrition-related policies, strategies, guidelines, manuals is a must.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
• Five or more years of relevant experience in nutrition and/or public health desirable
• Experience in Northern Ghana is desirable.
• Experience working with Government of Ghana Ministries, Agencies, Departments, Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies and non-Government partners is desirable.
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
Advanced University degree in Nutrition, Public Health Nutrition, or related field.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral in English.
• Good computer knowledge and skills and good knowledge on statistical software for nutrition analysis such as WHO Anthro, EPI INFO, ENA for SMART, SPSS, SAS.
• Ability to work under tight deadlines.
• Ability to engage effectively with a wide range of colleagues and partners.
• Maturity, initiative, courtesy, tact and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to handle any other additional tasks as requested by the supervisor.
Fluency in English language is essential. Working knowledge of any of the local languages in Northern Ghana is a plus.
Qualified Female Candidates are encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates meeting the criteria will be contacted.
Applicants should submit their applications and CV stating 3 references online to:
www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings and follow the steps.