Posted on :
16 May, 2011
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and globally by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-OM-11-449318 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made from this announcement.
Overseas Assignments: Overseas assignments are for two years and a rotational agreement must be signed. The assignment may be extended based on the needs of the agency.
· This position is eligible for special pay allowances (e.g.,
post differential, housing, relocation, etc.).
· Immunizations are required and will be administered by the CDC
before relocating overseas.
· Security clearances is required for the selectee only and medical clearances are required for selectee and all family members before being posted overseas. Inability of selectee to secure the clearances for overseas duty within six (6) months will result in termination of appointment to the position.
· Citizens or permanent residents of the host country are not eligible to be considered.
· Additional information on living and traveling abroad may be
found by clicking here.
If selected you will:
Must possess a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor`s or higher degree with major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
Minimum Qualifications for Health Scientist (LAB, GS-601-13/14/15:
In order to qualify applicants must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level (for which you are applying) in the Federal Service. Specialized experience in providing scientific leadership for programs directed to eliminating health disparities
in populations disproportionately affected by HIV/AIDS, STDs, TB and other related diseases and conditions
GS-13: To be eligible for this grade you must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-12 grade level (or equivalent) in the Federal Service.
GS-14: To be eligible for this grade you must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-13 grade level (or equivalent) in the Federal Service.
GS-15: To be eligible for this grade you must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-14 grade level (or equivalent) in the Federal Service.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant. If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS “E-Verify” System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. Time in grade (TIG) must be met at the time of application.
5. All qualification requirements must be met at the time of application.
6. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
7. One-year probationary period may be required.
8. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses may be authorized.
9. Bargaining Unit Position: No
10. Drug Screening Required: No
11. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized.
12. Travel required: Yes; as required by position
How You Will Be Evaluated:
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category (Best-Qualified, Well-Qualified, and Qualified). The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Design, oversees, implements, and conducts scientific studies.
2. Provide direction and guidance.
3. Skill in oral communication.
4. Skill in written communication.
5. Interpersonal skills.
View more details and apply here: http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/jobs/Health-Scientist-Lab-Overseas-2205807.html