USAID Advancing Nutrition is USAID’s flagship multi-sectoral nutrition project, led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), and a diverse group of experienced partners. Launched in September 2018, USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change, and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development. From 2020 – 2022, USAID Advancing Nutrition will provide technical support and assessment services to advance the Government of Ghana’s efforts to improve equitable delivery of quality services that promote household resilience and early childhood growth and development. Technical services provided through USAID Advancing Nutrition will strengthen national and local government planning in Northern Ghana and stimulate the development of multisectoral solutions most pressing food security and nutrition problems.
Job Title: Nutrition Coordinator
Job Summary: The Nutrition Coordinator will serve as technical lead and advisor for nutrition activity implementation and coordination, as well as ensure effective relationships with nutrition stakeholders at national, regional and district levels.
Job Location: Tamale, with frequent travel to project locations.
- Work with regional and district staff to coordinate the design, implementation and monitoring of nutrition activities (both nutrition-specific and nutrition-sensitive) at facility and community level.
- Coordinate with Ghana Health Service and the project team to organize capacity building of health workers on key nutrition technical areas
- Work with the project monitoring, evaluation and learning team to collect, analyze and report on nutrition related project results
- Coordinate with regional and district teams to undertake technical supportive supervisory visits to health facilities to backstop, mentor and coach health workers on related technical areas
- Undertake periodic joint monitoring visits with regional and district staff to community support groups, health volunteers and target households on improved behaviors related to nutrition, food security and resilience
- Lead the implementation of planned nutrition activities in project annual work plan and support documentation of best practices, success stories and ensure targets are achieved in collaboration with the project team.
- Contribute to drafting quarterly, annual, and other ad hoc reports on nutrition activities
- Serve as the project principal technical lead for nutrition activities in the 17 partner districts
- Contribute to increasing district assemblies’ understanding of the importance of incorporating food security and nutrition interventions into their medium-term development plans.
- Review and modify project materials and tools where needed.
- Perform any other duties assigned.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Master’s Degree in nutrition, public health, international development, or closely related field and at least seven (7) years of professional experience in implementing and managing nutrition and public health development programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in implementing nutrition activities including Community-Based Management of Acute Malnutrition, Quality Improvement, Community Infant and Young Child Feeding and Anemia prevention and control
- Strong experience in Early Childhood Development programs
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building of health workers at regional, district, and facility levels.
- Familiarity with the Ghana Health Service systems and operations
- Excellent written and verbal English skills.
- Must have demonstrated experience of the donor-funded project focus on nutrition
- Strong initiative and self-motivation are required, with a commitment to teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to work with local authorities in Ghana, especially at the district level.
- Demonstrated understanding of government protocols and ability to effectively manage cross-ministerial and department communications.
- Ability and willingness to travel, mostly within Northern, North East, Upper East, and Upper West regions, up to 50% of worktime.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Prior work experience on USAID funded project with a focus in nutrition
- Prior work experience with Ghana Health Service
- Previous work experience in Northern Ghana
- Good understanding of nutrition data needs for project performance reporting
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online by 08/10/2021.