JSI Research and Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is a leader in improving the health of individuals and communities by providing high-quality technical and managerial assistance to public health programs worldwide. JSI has implemented projects in 104 countries, and currently operates from eight U.S. and 81 international offices for the past 30 years.
The Strengthening Partnerships, Results and Innovations in Nutrition (SPRING) is a five-year cooperative agreement funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to provide state-of-the-art technical support and facilitate country-led, regional, and global programs to improve the nutritional status of women and children. The SPRING implementation team consists of JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc., Helen Keller International (HKI), the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Save the Children (SC), and The Manoff Group (TMG).
SPRING/Ghana aims to reduce stunting by 20 percent in two regions—Northern Region and Upper East Region. Working in 15 districts within these two regions, SPRING/Ghana’s activities include anemia reduction, infant and young child nutrition; water, sanitation, and hygiene; aflatoxin reduction; community video; and support to the LEAP 1000 cash transfers.
SPRING/Ghana defines its activities through the 1,000 Day Household (linked to 2-pager) approach, which targets households with pregnant women and children 2 years of age and younger. This approach synthesizes each intervention area into a holistic approach designed to support the ability of the1,000 day household to care for and support the 1,000 day child.
Job Title: Senior Nutrition Advisor
The SPRING/Ghana team is looking to hire a Senior Nutrition Advisor to serve as a senior technical manager, directing the work of technical advisors in anemia, nutrition, WASH, agriculture, and SBCC for the project. The Senior Advisor will be responsible for developing and managing the implementation of the annual work plan and assuring technical quality across the project. The Senior Nutrition Advisor will supervised by the Deputy Chief of Party.
This position will be based in Tamale, Ghana and the anticipated start date is July 2016. This is a one-year position (the current SPRING Project is scheduled to close in September 2017). This position is open to both local Ghanaian applicants and international applicants.
- In consultation with the SPRING/Ghana Senior Management Team (SMT) and technical staff, develop the SPRING/Ghana nutrition strategy embodied in the annual work plan and refined in detailed implementation plans (DIPs)
- Supervise SPRING technical staff.
- Provide technical leadership in nutrition activities designed to reduce stunting and prevent anemia, e.g., IYCF, farmer field schools, iron-deficient anemia reduction, CLTS, handwashing, quality improvement, and behavior change communication through multiple channels.
- Lead the integration of multi-sectoral activities, e.g., WASH and IYCF, inclusion of SBCC elements in all activities, focused on the first 1,000 days.
- Build capacity of project staff at the district level to scale-up districts capacity to develop and implement nutrition interventions, in collaboration with the Program Manager who supervises district-level staff.
- Manage development of technical resource materials, including guidelines, technical manuals, training curricula, job aids, and communication materials for print, radio, and video.
- Work closely with the strategic information team to monitor performance against indicators.
- Work closely with the knowledge management team to prepare reports for USAID, for use on the SPRING website and to document best practices and methodologies for improving nutritional outcomes.
Required Skills or Experience
- Masters’ degree in Human Nutrition, Public Health or closely related fields.
- At least 8 years of proven experience in implementing community and facility based maternal and child health nutrition or other health-related work required.
- Experience working in health and nutrition quality improvement programs including CMAM, WASH and IYCF.
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills, and the ability to write for a range of audiences and purposes, including superior presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and manage significant technical activities, including designing activities, mobilizing resources, identifying and managing partners, and reporting.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic multi-disciplinary project.
- Ability to effectively work independently and outside of conventional office environments, if needed.
- Ability to work effectively in a team consisting of people with different technical backgrounds and with varying levels of technical training.
- Demonstrated managerial, supervisory and interpersonal skills, including the ability to facilitate relationships, interact effectively with clients and colleagues, and mentor junior technical staff.
- Ability to translate technical information into practical guidance and tools and effectively communicate these using print, electronic, and presentation media.
- Proven track record that demonstrates leadership skills, project management, budget and resource management experience, and client relationship management capability.
- Experience working across multiple sub agreements and partners; ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Must be willing to live in Tamale, Ghana
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply through the JSI Jobs Database http://www.jsi.com/JSIInternet/Careers/jobdescription.cfm?id=93885&intern=0
- Applicants must submit an up-to-date resume and cover letter, which describes why you are qualified for the position.
- Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please do not wait to apply.
- We plan to fill the position as soon as possible.
- Only successful candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.