USAID Strengthening the Continuum of Care Project, JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc.
JSI is implementing the recently extended USAID Strengthening the Care Continuum Project in Ghana The goal of this extension is to allow Care Continuum to expand existing support to the Government of Ghana (GOG) and to accelerate Ghana’s progress in attaining the 90-90-90 UNAIDS goal by achieving epidemic control in one high HIV disease burdened region by scaling up evidence-based interventions. Activities will include active case finding of persons living with HIV (PLHIV) in the Western Region (WR), putting and retaining them on treatment, and ensuring they are virally suppressed. The activity will be funded by USAID through the USA President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through September 2020.
Job Title: Nurse Assistant – Preventive (Community Health Nurses)
This is a full-time position that will be based in districts of Western Region, Ghana. The role of the Nurse Assistants-Preventive (Community Health Nurses) will be to act as liaisons /focal points in providing quality and comprehensive HIV services for PLHIVs (including Key Populations-KPs) by working directly with defined communities, local Non-governmental organizations or Civil Society Organizations. They will actively seek HIV/AIDS cases and successfully refer and ensure their linkage to facility-based care and treatment services.
The main objective of the Nurse Assistant-Preventive (Community Health Nurses) is to organize and provide community health nursing services to meet the health needs of a defined catchment population. The successful applicants will be deployed in the various districts (Ahanta West, Ellembele, Jomoro, Nzema East, Prestea- Huni Valley, Kwesimintim, Sekondi Takoradi Metro, Shama, Tarkwa-Nsueam Municipal, Wassa Amenfi East and Wassa Amenfi West) of the Western Region. Candidates resident in the designated districts will have an advantage.
- No. of Positions: Ten (10)
- Reporting Relationship: The Nurse Assistant-Preventive (Community Health Nurses) reports to the Senior Program Specialist on the project, and who will be based in Takoradi.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Collaborate with CSO partners in the district, and with health facilities to provide quality and comprehensive care for all PLHIV in the assigned district.
- Develop caseload/catchment area population profile, and identify, prioritize and implement programs of care with relevant stakeholders.
- With the support of CSO partners, assess, plan, implement and evaluate programs of care with and for clients in the assigned community.
- Collaborate with partners and specifically assist in ensuring continuity of care by tracing defaulters and making follow-ups visit clients with HIV/AIDS, the aged, low birth weight babies, and advising them accordingly on best behaviors and practices for sustained good health.
- Collaborate with health facility teams to run family planning, post-natal and child welfare clinics in communities.
- Support the DHMT to undertake immunization programs according to national protocols to ensure maximum possible protection against diseases such as diphtheria, measles, poliomyelitis, tetanus, tuberculosis, and yellow fever.
- Liaise with other agencies such as Social Welfare to assist patients/clients in need of Social and other psychosocial support.
- Organize scheduled systematic community mobilization as well as active case finding in the catchment area, and support CSOs to do targeted, and index testing.
- Ensure all equipment used in the community, (syringes, needles, etc.) are returned to health facilities and destroyed according to the GHS infection control policy and guidelines.
- Discuss treatment /management of the condition with patients and relatives where applicable and encourage them to ask questions. Maintain effective communication with colleagues, patients, and partners.
- Participate in weekly review meetings and submit all activity reports on time.
- Any other duty assigned by the Senior Programs Specialist.
Required Skills or Experience
- Nurse Assistant Certificate –Preventive (Community Health Nurses). Knowledge of Ghana Health Service HIV AIDS activities will be an advantage.
- Knowledge and understanding of quality assurance issues
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to initiate and maintain clear, concise documentation
- Ability to work under pressure
- Western Region language abilities and cultural awareness will be useful
- Computer literate (Word, excel, powerpoint)
The post holder must at all times:
- Work in accordance with the GHS/NMC Code of Professional Conduct and Disciplinary Procedure.
- Strictly adhere to the provisions of the Patient’s Charter.
- Monitor own performance against agreed objectives and standards
- Attend in-service training to upgrade skills and knowledge to provide quality care to clients.
- Keep Log of own performance and in-service training log for purposes of appraisal.
How to Apply
- Qualified persons are required to send their cover letter and Curriculum Vitae (CV) marked ‘Nurse Assistant –Clinical (Enrolled Nurses) ’ to [email protected]
- Deadline for the submission of applications: September 18, 2019.
- Please note that given the likely high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- No phone calls or drop-ins will be accepted.
JSI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individuals are welcome to apply.