Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Water Management Specialist
This role is responsible for the strategy development, design, coordination, planning and construction oversight of the mine water management program in the Africa Region. The role is also responsible for ensuring that the mines are operating consistent with the regional strategy. The role supports mine dewatering, process plant water supply, environmental compliance, permitting and Stage Gate Studies.
- Provide functional regional strategy development and review in Mine Water Management at all Newmont Africa operations and project sites.
- Lead the transitioning of Newmont Africa operations Water Management Strategy to Water Stewardship strategy by ensuring that all water stewardship plans are aligned with business plan.
- Anticipate Newmont business needs with regards to Mine Water Management issues in the Africa Region.
- Lead all Newmont Mine Water Management Staff and external consultants.
- Coordinate the consolidation of water strategy cost in the region in ensuring that all costs are budgeted by the various activity owners during the annual planning process.
- Develop and execute upon the budget for Mine Water Management requirements at Newmont Africa Operations and Project Sites.
- Maintain a high focus on Safety by monitoring implementation of best practice Mine Water Management at all Newmont Africa Sites.
- Review existing and set new hydrological, surface water and operational dewatering standards and processes for each operating Newmont Africa Site or Stage Gate Project to ensure consistency with and support of regional plans.
- Work with Newmont Africa properties, CMO’s, ESR, Project/Study Directors and Operations to define and set up review mechanisms of the Surface Water Plans and Ground Water Plans to assess risk for both underground and open pit operations.
- Facilitates technology and knowledge transfer between operations in Hydrogeology, Hydrology and Operations Mine Dewatering.
- Review AFEs for alignment to standards and future directions in hydrological and operational mine dewatering process.
- Ensure that hydrological and dewatering policies, standards and processes and procedures are developed where appropriate.
- Provide career path planning for all Mine Water Management staff from Grade 103 level and higher in conjunction with Global Functional Lead.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Water Engineering, Hydrogeology or similar discipline.
- Minimum of 18 years project engineering management experience including experience with greenfield and international projects, or an equivalent combination of training and experience are necessary. A minimum of ten years’ experience in an area related to Mine Water Management as a subject matter expert.
- Technical understanding and experience of hydrology including groundwater supply, pit watering and mine depressurization projects.
- Experience with groundwater and surface water modeling software.
- Practical understanding of pumps, pipelines and fluid mechanics for design of water handling system.
- Knowledge of water chemistry, water treatment and tailings management strategies.
- Experience in operations practices and standards, environmental, community relations is preferred.
- The incumbent will possess the personal qualities of professional leadership, superior intellectual capacity, sound judgement, strong interpersonal skills and business savvy.
- The person will have a proven track record in project execution and operation and will have demonstrated a commitment to the successful implementation of the project.
- Experience in the management and administration of budgets in a multinational mining company.
- Experience managing contracts related to mining, construction and technical services.
- Previous experience supporting permitting and licensing.
- Prior experience with Stage/Gate or similar capital effectiveness programs.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to think strategically; comfortable moving between strategic and tactical is a requirement of the role.
- Strong leadership and a people oriented outlook.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to influence and drive change.
- Ability to mentor, coach and direct workgroup by establishing stretch goals for development of staff and promotion of quality study and project management.
- Ability to consult, listen, and provide superior customer service to be an effective service provider.
- The position is based at the Ahafo Mining operations in Ghana, with regular travel to other Newmont operating sites and projects in the Africa Region.
- The incumbent may undertake business travel to various Corporate mine site and locations on the Company’s behalf. Ability to access mining areas and rough terrain on a daily basis required.