Chirano is located in southwestern Ghana, approximately 100 kilometres southwest of Kumasi, Ghana’s second largest city. The mine is within the Bibiani gold belt and consists of 11 deposits. Open pit and underground ore are processed at the Chirano plant. The capacity of the mill is approximately 3.5 million tonnes per annum. Processing involves crushing, ball mill grinding, leaching, and CIL.
Job Title: Technical Training Specialist
Reporting to the Learning & Development Superintendent, the successful candidate will be responsible for designing, organizing and facilitating training & development programmes to enhance employees’ skills and competencies at the workplace; thereby contributing to an appropriately trained and skilled workforce.
Perform training needs assessments, and deliver curriculum and learning materials for managing all phases of training interventions.
- Co-ordinate all Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) & Vendor training and competency development programmes for Heavy Mobile Equipment Maintenance employees.
- Design and implement cost effective competency-based training and assessment programmes to employees to develop required skills and values.
- Design and develop training programmes based on training objectives and Annual Work Plan (AWP) and assess training effectiveness to ensure incorporation of taught skills and techniques into employees work behavior.
- Conducts Instructor-Led-Training (ILT) and On-the-Job Training (OJT) for all Maintenance employees.
- Work with Maintenance Supervisors/ Managers to establish training requirements and competencies for the Maintenance employees are in accordance with prevailing standards of training.
- Routinely review industry standards and best practices in relation to Mine Heavy Mobile Equipment Maintenance and review training objectives, materials to ensure alignment to the Annual Training Plan.
- Ensure training modules are designed and prepared to meet the CGML requirements and the training needs of the employees.
- Participate in site internal audits to help identify and eliminate substandard practices.
- Administer training on the Psychometric Dover Testing Machine and other Mobile Equipment Simulators.
- Assist in training, testing and certifications of employees.
- Conduct General and job specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for Surface, Underground Engineering.
- Ensure that all training materials, equipment, and facilities are maintained and up to date.
- Monitor and evaluate employee performances against business/ role requirements in order to identify training needs or gaps.
- Develop effective training programmes for new staff, national service as well as graduate trainees and review the progress of trainees through evaluations and discussions with Supervisors/Managers.
- Ensure training programmes conform to standard operating procedures (SOPs) and meet all internal and external requirements.
Education and Experience
- BSc Mechanical Engineering or a related qualification from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of Eight (8) years in-field technical experience, preferably in a mining or similar work environment.
- Minerals Commission Certificate of Competency (Inspecting Engineer or Training Officer’s Certificate of Competency).
- Workplace Trainer and Assessor certification from a recognized institution.
- Hands-on experience in conducting Training Needs Analyses, developing training programmes, and conducting assessments and workplace evaluations.
- Working knowledge of Electro-Hydraulic Heavy Duty /Auxiliary Mobile Equipment, Hydraulics, Pneumatics, Auto-Electricals, Power Trains, Diesel Engines, Troubleshooting Techniques, and Preventive Maintenance is an asset.
- Knowledge of Safe Working Procedures in relation to Equipment Maintenance
- Ability to train, coach and mentor employees.
- Ability to effectively communicate training information orally and in writing.
- Strong facilitation and training evaluation skills.
- Possess strong verbal, written, analytical and persuasive skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management
- Strong analytical skills and ability to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Advanced computer proficiency skills – Microsoft office – Advanced Excel, Projects, Access and Power point.
- Possess a valid Ghanaian Driver’s License with good defensive driving skills.
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.