Chirano is located in southwestern Ghana, approximately 100 kilometers southwest of Kumasi, Ghana’s second largest city. The mine is within the Bibiani gold belt and consists of 11 deposits. Open pit and underground ore are processed at the Chirano plant. The capacity of the mill is approximately 3.5 million tonnes per annum. Processing involves crushing, ball mill grinding, leaching, and CIL.
Job Title: Senior Metallurgist
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his/her supervision.
- Maintain and manage agreed projects to improve the Metallurgical performance of the plant within established operational parameters to ensure identified target are met ensuring maximum metal extraction at a minimal cost.
- Provide technical resource and information for the Production and Maintenance Departments as and when required for the purpose of optimizing productivity, resolving key issues on the plant and minimizing consumable and reagent usage.
- To review and approve Metallurgical Accounting by ensuring all correct metallurgical data are entered and balanced for daily, weekly, monthly production and forecast reports.
- Execute accurate performance and environmental monitoring through sampling and analytical procedures cost-effectively with regards to the high level of safety of self and fellow employees.
- Generate prompt and precise metallurgical reports.
- Assist in the preparation of production forecast, process operating budgets, and monthly process reports.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the Chirano process plant operation.
- Ensure gold room duties are carried out effectively and safely as well as bullion documentations and shipments are done within the stipulated time.
- Responsible for Metallurgical Laboratory and personnel to perform metallurgical test work and routine metallurgical functions as required.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and training for Plant Metallurgist, National Service and Graduate Trainee on the plant.
- Undertake other duties as required by the Processing Manager and Metallurgical Superintendent.
- Act in the absence of Metallurgical Superintendent.
Education and Experience
- BSc. Degree or Diploma holder in Metallurgical/Mineral Engineering or its equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 (five) years working experience in a Senior Plant Metallurgist position on a CIL / CIP gold plant.
- Must possess MINCOM certification.
- Must have in-depth knowledge in Metallurgical accounting, CIL/CIP plant optimization, Metallurgical Test works procedures and metallurgical laboratory management.
- Must have in-depth knowledge in the usage of AAS machine for analysis.
- Must possess strong metallurgical analysis background.
- Applicant should be a good team player and willing to work beyond normal working hours if the need arises.
- The applicant must be proactive and have the drive to initiate for challenging works.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft office – Advanced Excel, projects and power point.
- Possess a valid Ghanaian Driver’s License with good defensive driving skills
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.