Kinross acquired its ownership in the Chirano mine on September 17, 2010 upon completing its acquisition of Red Back Mining Inc. Chirano is located in southwestern Ghana, approximately 100 kilometres southwest of Kumasi, Ghana’s second largest city. Chirano achieved its first gold pour in October 2005, and consists of 11 deposits: Akwaaba, Suraw, Akoti South, Akoti North, Akoti Extended, Paboase, Tano, Obra South, Obra, Sariehu and Mamnao.
The mine is within the Bibiani gold belt and the mining plan at the time of Kinross’ acquisition of Red Back calls for the exploitation of 11 gold deposits spread along a strike length of approximately10 kilometres by both open pit and underground mining methods. The second underground mine at Paboase is now in production and Kinross plans to continue underground development.
Open pit and underground ore are processed at the Chirano plant. The capacity of the mill is approximately 3.5 million tonnes per annum. Processing involves crushing, ball mill grinding, leaching, and CIL. Gold is recovered by an elation circuit.
Job Title: HME – Auto Electrician
- Assume the responsibility for all Electrical, Gassing and Maintenance Equipment used by the company and ensuring daily Pre Start Checks are performed and defects reported immediately.
- Provide support to colleagues with regards to HSE in the delivery of specialist maintenance services.
- Compliance with all Statutory and Company Procedures and Policy requirements.
- Maintain continuous communication with Supervisors and colleagues to enable the quick response to complaints on equipment thus minimizing breakdown periods.
- Ensure that your work is being carried out and completed in accordance with laid down procedures.
- Provide direction by reporting on equipment repair priorities.
- Respond positively to any ideas, suggestions or constructive criticism made by personnel and, if necessary and after consultation with your Supervisor and/or Maintenance Superintendent, act accordingly on them.
- Share daily tasks with the colleagues you are working with.
- Ensure all auto electrical repairs and faults to company’s Fleet are fixed to deadlines.
- Ensure an effective on going work hand over for the incoming shift in consultation with your Supervisor.
- Ensure all auto electrical spares/goods for the Company’s fleet are in stock for upcoming shutdown and/or service maintenance.
- Inform your Supervisor of what stage of the work you have reached by the end of shift.
- Any other Responsibilities as put forth by your Supervisor and/or Maintenance Superintendent that are deemed reasonable and fair for the understanding of responsibilities for this position.
Education and Experience
- Trade Certified in Heavy Machinery Auto Electrical with a minimum of 3 years experience in a similar role.
- Ghanaian Driving Licence
- Ability to work for long hours and without supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work safely in a mining environment
- Reports to Leading Hand Mechanic