Kinross is a Canadian-based Gold mining company with its head office in Toronto, and have mines and projects in the United States, Canada, Russia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Ghana and Mauritania, and employs approximately 7,000 people worldwide.
Our core values are putting people first, outstanding corporate citizenship, high performance culture and rigorous financial discipline. We are dynamic, innovative, and passionate about who we are and how we work, and we do not compromise when it comes to doing the right thing in the communities where we operate.
At Kinross, we pride ourselves on being skilled, responsible operators who strive not only to meet, but to exceed, regulatory requirements for both environmental and health and safety performance, wherever we operate. Putting people first is a core Kinross value, and our chief priority is to ensure the safety and well-being of every employee and contractor who works for us.
Number of Vacancies: Three (3)
Purpose of Role
- To provide technical support to the mine operations team and oversight to the underground contractors’ mining activities.
- To follow, and ensure all Contractors compliance to established policies, practices and procedures when completing work assignments.
- To ensure continued growth of the Mine Operations team and to maximize operational safety, efficiencies and profitability.
Key Areas of Responsibility & Duties
- To assess and assist in the improvement of systems, programs or processes in mine operations
- Ensures contractor’s compliance to Company, Regulatory and Contractor’s own safety rules, policies, regulations and standard operating procedures
- Responsible for assessment of all activities and processes related to mine operations
- Answers queries and assists Mine Captains in handling requests related to mine operations which includes problem solving and judgment
- Discusses short-range mine plans with the Mine Captains and Chief Mine Engineer to ensure they are realistic and achievable
- Monitors contractor equipment availability and assess production priorities based on availability of equipment
- Provides information to complete summaries of production activities as required
- Complies, and ensures compliance, with established methodologies and quality standards related to mine operations while at the same time recommending new or alternate approaches
- Escalates issues requiring knowledge about the broader business impact of decisions. Works with mentor as needed.
- Assist in preparing reports and completing documentation related to mine operations
- Assists with special projects related to mine operations
- Provides assessment of safety and performance outcomes in coordination with the Mine Captains and Mine Managers
- May mentor or train less experienced employees on operating standards, procedures and methods
- Other duties as required
- To provide technical support related to mine operations
- Addresses queries and assists Mine Captain and Mine Manager in resolving issues for the Contractor, while ensuring service standards are met
- Ensures Contractors’ compliance with company policy and procedures and regulations in mine operations
- Provides training, workplace inspection and safety awareness to contractors and CGML Operations staff as needed
- Acts as Field Engineer at mine site, providing quality assessment and quality control of the work performed by the Contractors
- Adheres to all safety and environmental considerations. Wears PPE at all times while in production environment. Is alert and observes, corrects and reports unsafe conditions.
- Follows operating procedures and complies with all regulatory requirements.
Required Skills or Experience
Minimum Qualifications & Skill Requirements
- BSc. Mining Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Statutory certification as an underground Supervisor
- 3-5 years of related work experience
- Complete knowledge of the underground mining environment
- Knowledge of various underground, narrow vein mining methods
- Solid safety performance at the personal and professional level
Additional Qualifications & Skills Requirement
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to function within the required physical demands of the job as outlined
- Detailed knowledge of established mining methods and operating practices
- General knowledge of the integration of the mining, milling, and maintenance functions
- Working knowledge of the explosives used in mining
- Good working knowledge with MS Office Suite especially in Excel and Word.
How To Apply
Interested candidates are to submit their application and curriculum vitae to the address below not later than 17th August, 2012.
The Human Resources Manager
Chirano Gold Mines Limited
P. O. Box 57
Offer valid till: 17 Aug, 2012