Posted on :
9 May, 2014
9 May, 2014
The Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (KAIPTC) invites applications from suitably qualified and highly motivated persons to fill the following position:- Library Assistant
Assist in the running of the library to meet the needs of faculty, students and staff.
• Assist users to search for information from serials, periodicals and reports and other continuing resources
• Answer reference queries
• Communicate the (websites) URLS of journals with online versions to Faculty and patrons
• Communicate the table of contents (TOC) of journals to patrons
• Co-ordinate the selection, acquisition and organisation of journals, periodicals and other continuing issues (from Faculty, researchers and staff)
• Responsible for list of vendors/publishers/suppliers of serials and compiles list of journals for subscription
• Evaluate the use of journals at the end of each year to inform subscription list
• Guide users to sources of information
• Index articles and information relevant to academic programmes in KAIPTC
• Keep records of information requested by users and analyse statistics
• Keep track of receipts of journals from the publishers with dates
• Organise newspapers for binding
• Prepare analysis of requests
• Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports
• Present list of unfulfilled requests to Head Librarian each month.
• Provide current awareness service to lecturers and students for research
• Record receipt of daily newspapers on tally cards
• Record titles of all serials, noting their sources and the quantities
• Perform related duties as required by the Librarian.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A degree in Library Science, Library and Information Science or InformationStudies from an accredited institution. Professional certification is desirable.
• At least 3 years post qualification working experience in a library. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
• library policies, procedures and methods
• ethics and professional standards
• a variety of information database systems
• I.T. including the ability to operate computerized library
• organization and structure of the library
• library systems for cataloguing
• Cataloguing and classification of library resources
• MARC 21
• research methodology
• organizational skills
• be honest and trustworthy
• be courteous
• possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
• be flexible
• demonstrate sound work ethics
How To Apply For The Job
Interested applicants are kindly requested to send their CV together with 3 references no later than 22nd May 2014 to the e-mail address:-
Closing Date: 22 May, 2014
Please indicate the post reference clearly in the cover letter; otherwise your application will not be considered. Applicants will be short-listed on the basis of their qualifications and work experience. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
The KAIPTC is an equal opportunity employer.