The Local Government Service is the newest of the public services of Ghana. It is established by Local Government Service Act 2003 Act 656 with its objective being to secure effective administration and management of local government in the country.
The Local Government Service Secretariat (LGSS) is inviting applications from its qualified staff to be considered for appointment as Head of department (HoD) in the following Department of the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs):
Job Title: Head Of Works
- The Head of Department shall provide strategic leadership and technical advice in promoting works and infrastructure related programmes and policies of people and communities of the Assembly’s jurisdiction.
- The Head of Department shall report to the Chief Executive through the Coordinating Director of the Assembly.
Key Responsibilities /Job Summary:
- Parttcipate in the preparation of Composite Budget and Annual Action Plan for the MMDA;
- Coordinate the activities of Building, Water and Roads sections in such a
- way as to bring about efficient and effective utilization of resources;
- Collaborate with all regional heads (roads, water and sanitation, public works and housing) for their technical backstopping and monitoring;
- Advise on procurement of infrastructure projects (works, goods and services) for the MMDA;
- Participate in the administration and management of contracts: of infrastructure projects;
- Participate in the planning, design and implementation of projects in the MMDA;
- Lead in the preparation of reports on all infrastructural activities undertaken in the MMDA;
- Provide technical advice on infrastructure management to the MMDA;
- Facilitate the repairs and maintenance of equipment, vehicles and infrastructural facilities;
- Ensure the development of the capabilities, skills and knowledge of staff; and
- Prepare composite and comprehensive progress and annual reports on the Works Department activities in the Assembly;
Required Skills or Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Building Technology, Architecture, Quantity Surveying or equivalent relevant discipline;
- A minimum of Eight (8) years working experience in the Public Service with two (2) years in a managerial position;
- Must be in the Professional Cadre of the Engineering Group;
- Must be a staff of the Local Government Service, and
- Must be a member of a recognized professional body.
Required Skills Competencies::
- Must be self-disciplined and self-motivated;
- Ability to facilitate collaboration across teams to achieve a common goal;
- Ability to initiate, define and address high-level challenges and opportunities;
- Ability to use variety of communication strategies/ modes to promote dialogue and develop shared understanding and consensus;
- Be able to analyze and synthesize information to understand issues, identify options and support sound decision making; and
- Must be computer literate.
How To Apply For The Job
Interested applicants should submit their applications together with photocopies of their certificates and Curricula Vitae (CV) to the respective Regional Coordinating Directors of their respective Regional Coordinating Councils (RCCs). LGS-CV format for the application can be downloaded from LGS website www.lgs.gov.gh
Officers who have alreadv been appointed and posted as a Head of
Department of any MMDAs are not allowed to apply for any of these posts;
Closing Date: 25 November, 2016