Job Title: Transmission Engineer
The Transmission Engineer will be responsible for the Network operations and Planning & Implementation of the OSP & SDH components in the Main One Optical Transmission Network interfacing with the terrestrial and transoceanic fibre optic cable systems. The Transmission Engineer will be responsible for the:
- Troubleshooting and resolution of 1st and 2nd level network related problems.
- Respond to and resolve SDH & MW networks issues within the timeframe of severity level agreements
- Review and execute RPRs (re-provision requests) on Dragon Wave HC+, Huawei OSN series (especially OSN3500, OSN500 & OSN8800) and ECI box (BG-20 & BG-30) platforms with minimal supervision
- Support all aspects of the network management process assuring requests, implementation, and problems are delivered as required with no impact to the global communications.
- Deploy and document changes in accordance with problem and change management process
- Participate in managing projects introduced by engineering team assuring full implementation and documentation standards are adhered to. Complete the projects objectives within timelines.
- Able to interpret, review and implement PDH and SDH networks designs from the core network planning team.
- Perform most effective approach to restore, recover, or alter configurations, logical or physical, to maintain service integrity
- Ensure that Main One’s global and metro fiber network documentation is always accurate and up to date.
- Perform Network Analyses using E-Analyzer, SDH Analyzer, OTDR and other signal testing tools/instrument to ensure error free network.
- Carry out site surveys, planning of new equipment, cabinets and towers installation
- Overall project planning, delivery and update of the milestone project plan
- Provide support as delegated on last mile connections, including microwave radio technology deployment
- Work directly with Vendor support to manage the Optical Transmission Network (OTN).
- Coordinate and manage equipment installation services, OTN component vendors and schedules
- Implementation of Network resilience and Protection systems (1+1 LMSP, SNCP, MSP etc.)
- Report on capacity, inventory and utilization of applicable transmission and carrier equipment configurations. Provide detailed engineering documentation to support and ensure the success of required projects.
- Planning of OSP build and new POP identification selection.
- OSP build supervisions on site where all fiber cable activities such as Laying of Fibers, Sub ducts laying & calibrations, Fibre Testing, fibre Termination/Splicing.
- Ensure quality assurance on all outside plant infrastructural build by contractors during implementation.
- Assess test plans and perform tests to ensure cable and build integrity.
- Implementation of new fiber projects for MOCC backhaul routes.
- Issue periodic progress/ status reports regularly based on the updates gathered from the construction teams.
Qualifications, Skills & Competencies
- BSc Electrical/Electronics Engineering or B.Tech Electrical/Electronics Engineering or BSC Telecommunication Engineering
- Ability to review and execute provisioning requests from Transmission Planning documents
- Ability to troubleshoot, identify root causes and recommend solutions
- Ability to operate, troubleshoot and maintain networking/IP related technologies and protocols
- Ability to recognize and analyze data, basic causes of problems, and recommend solutions that meet the practical needs of the business
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Teamwork abilities
- Ability to work well under pressure
Demands of the Job
Ability and willingness to work long hours and meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- May be required to work weekends
- May be required to travel out of stations