AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited is currently on a journey to redevelop the Obuasi Gold Mine into a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation will be fully mechanized, designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Engineering Technical Specialist.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Engineering Technical Specialist is accountable for the development and implementation of QA/QC of Surface and Underground Fixed Plant Infrastructure maintenance, including the Surface Processing Plant, Surface Mine Infrastructure, and Surface Support Infrastructure, Underground Mine Infrastructure, Hoists and Shaft Infrastructure and Heavy Mobile Equipment through the application of operational engineering policies, standards, systems and procedures to maximise plant availability in a sustainable cost-effective manner and minimize operational risks in order to meet the business’ strategic objective.
- Deliver the Safety Management plan elements for the areas under the incumbent’s control.
- Provide technical input to the Safety Manager, Refurbishment Manager, Planning Manager, Technical services manager and Construction Manager in order to develop the safety management plan for the construction and refurbishment works, consistent with AGA’s Integrated Management System and Standards.
- Review the application of safety standards and work practices for the refurbishment construction workforce to enable the safety targets to be managed and achieved.
- Apply HSE regulations with zero tolerance to breaches.
- Demonstrate safety behaviour consistent with AGAG’s vision and values.
- Lead by example to create a safe working environment, where risks are assessed and managed so tasks are performed without risk of injury or harm.
- Continuously seek opportunities to improve design and field safety performance.
- Apply the ‘working elements’ (inspections, audits, JHA, etc.) of the Safety Management System and deliver compliance.
- Deliver timely investigation of all injuries, illness, and incidents with actions plans developed to prevent recurrences.
- Identify safety training needs and deliver safety training requirements to enable personnel to safely perform their designated work
- Execution of the construction, refurbishment and maintenance activities in accordance with the Government of Ghana conditions of approvals and the site’s Environmental Management Plan.
- Issue environmental related instruction to any employees at the workplace.
- As a minimum, achieve zero reportable environmental incidents, zero compliance breaches and no events requiring public disclosure.
- Utilise ‘Analyse and Improve’ tools to investigate process interruptions so that exposure to environmental risks is reduced.
- Reduce energy usage by running the plant energy consumption per unit produced at the optimal rate within sphere of influence
- Support the Processing Department to maintain Cyanide Code certification
- Establish the Processing Plant and Surface and Underground Mine Infrastructure teams required to support the role holder in executing the project.
- Using AGA’s How we Work guidelines, clearly define the roles and accountabilities of subordinates.
- Recruit and appoint people to role in accordance with AGA policy and localisation objectives as directed by the Senior Mining Manager.
- For those AGAG employees who will be part of the continuing operation prepare and execute training and development plans.
- Ensure the organisation structure is capable of delivering the maintenance strategy.
- Communicate policies and procedures in a manner so as to achieve full understanding and compliance.
- Provide guidance to subordinates in leadership techniques to achieve maximum performance.
- Verify that supervisors develop a skills matrix that includes all disciplines and individual achievements.
- Identify skill deficiencies and initiate corrective action.
- Develop an appropriate succession plan for key positions with the correct supportive development plan.
- Manage the development of training plans for each Graduate Trainee (Graduate Training Programme in accordance with AGAG policies and HR) and the apprenticeship programme for all required on-site trades (Apprenticeship scheme in accordance with AGAG policies and HR) together with City and Guilds Ghana.
- Select and appoint staff to role requirements
- Provide major inputs to Operational Readiness for the Surface engineering/maintenance throughout the operation.
- Develop the Operational Readiness plan for the Engineering team including localization plan.
- Implement the approved organizational structure required to deliver the project targets and future operational requirements.
- Engage and develop appropriately skilled, capable and experienced personnel in the area of accountability.
- Support the development and implementation of systems for the Engineering department to provide effective quality planning of work, efficient and safe work practices, monitoring of performance and promote continuous improvement.
- Operate the QA/QC of maintenance of the processing plant, surface and underground mine infrastructure during the Phase1 & 2 Operations
- Input into the design and constructability process, ensuring safe constructability remains a high priority. Including HAZID’s and HAZOP’s and schedule development.
- Advice and guidance to the refurbishment project team on best practice and fit for purpose engineering and construction outcomes to meet approved design specifications, best practice quality of work and no finding QA/QC.
- Review, approval and sign off of the detailed Refurbishment Execution Plan and schedule, infrastructure detailed design requirements, detailed testing plans, dry and wet commissioning plans, handover plans, training plans, manuals, records, drawings, specifications and documents issued.
- Delivering infrastructure requirements consistent with the procurement and contracting strategy, which addresses the construction time, cost and quality risks.
- Support interface management with the EPCM contractor for construction and refurbishment works.
- Liaison with the Manager Planning to develop maintenance planning and management outcomes that include QA/QC.
- Managing refurbishment installation contractor and an AGAG maintenance workforce to deliver works that meet cost, schedule and quality expectations consistent with the scope and quality contained in the Feasibility Study within area of accountability.
- Proactively managing change to avoid potential project cost and schedule overruns.
- Managing priorities within a dynamic environment, whilst maintaining safety, budget, schedule and quality targets.
- Communicating accurate and timely construction schedule delivery, progress, cost and quality information in the area of accountability.
- Collaborating with Construction Manager on new builds safety, operability, standards, maintainability, and reliability.
- Ensure the work carried out by the maintenance team is of a standard that supports the operational requirements of the equipment and is at optimum cost.
- Identify sub-standard work practices and take action to eliminate them and identify the root cause of these poor work practices.
- Assign tasks to subordinates in line with achieving the agreed production plan.
- Lead a team of engineers to specify, design, analyze and verify new components and systems.
- Implement corporate programs, e.g. asset management strategies, System for People, Operational Effectiveness, etc. across areas of control.
- Deploy management routines to identify defects in the workplace
- Establish good rapport with the other departments to ensure common goals are identified and reached.
- Prepare the departmental budget that support the company’s objectives and strategy.
- Ensure cost impacts in area of accountability are evaluated, approved and budget is revised.
- Identify, communicate and implement potential cost reduction initiatives.
- Manage the department in line with operational budget.
- Communicate to subordinates the relevant financial detail to each individual’s level ensuring their understanding and obligations to meet the budget goals
- Identify in a timely manner all current and potential risks to the Refurbishment, Construction and Maintenance activities utilizing the established Risk Management System, identifying activities and strategies to eliminate, manage or mitigate these risks
- Provide input and support into establishing and maintaining Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), budget, schedule, and construction work packs for refurbishment activities.
- Oversee the Requests for Information (RFI) and Technical Query (TQ) process, review and approve appropriate technical and non-technical documentation.
- Review and input into relevant plans such as Health, Safety, Quality and Commissioning
- Weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting, produce accurate and timely information that can clearly convey the status of safety, cost, schedule and quality for the refurbishment works.
- Advise progress and KPI status in a timely manner to the management team, particularly potential cost, and schedule or quality variances.
- Review and provide feedback regarding contractor’s progress claims.
- Inspect all refurbishment works to ensure works are delivered in accordance with applicable designs, specifications and expectations.
- Oversee refurbishment witness inspections and testing regime to ensure quality and or performance is in line with obligations and expectations
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical or Maintenance Engineering or equivalent.
- Masters’ Degree in Management will be an advantage.
- Financial, commercial and project management through work experience and courses will also be an advantage
- An experienced QA/QC engineer with 10+ years’ experience in the reliability and condition monitoring of Surface Processing Plant, Surface and Underground Mine and Support Infrastructure maintenance
- Experience in management and QA/QC on contractor work
- Experience of Maintenance and Repair Contracts (MARC)
- Experience in Project Management
- Knowledge of SAP PM Module and its role in reliability / condition monitoring / recording
- Knowledge of setup/running Graduate Trainee and/or Apprenticeship Schemes would be advantageous
- Must possess Engineering Managers Certificate of Competency from Mineral Commission of Ghana.
- Professional Certificated Engineer with a relevant certification body
- Strong QC/QA competencies
- Strong maintenance competencies in fixed plants
- Sound project management skills
- Should have analytical skills to be able to evaluate information and solve complex problems.
- Detail oriented to understand complex systems, and recognition that a minor error can cause major problems.
- Commercially astute and able to work effectively with third parties.
- Legally astute with respect to project delivery and maintenance systems
- Excellent skills in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Project and Excel
- Must be able to communicate about technical issues both orally and in writing
- Knowledge in AGA standards
- Knowledge in OEM
- Build and sustain a team of subordinates capable of producing those outputs;
- Continuously improve the processes used by the team in delivering outputs;
- Model work behaviors for your subordinates,
- Consistent with the company values
- Proven ability to initiate and drive the construction project through its life cycle.
- To support and motivate the construction project team to deliver the project goals.
- Finding innovative solutions through creative thinking and problem solving.
- Create an environment of teamwork and willingness to help coworkers
- Able to work different kinds of people
Organizational skills to keep track of many workers, schedules, and budgets all at once
Interested Ghanaians with the above qualification and experience should submit their applications, with detailed CV.
CLOSING DATE: 7TH MARCH, 2019.