Melcom is a supermarket chain consisting of 39 shops spread all over Ghana It was started in 1989 by Indian magnate Bhagwan Khubchandani. His late father, Ramchand Khubchandani, had arrived in the then Gold Coast in 1929 as a 14-year-old to work as a store boy. Melcom Group of Companies is a family business.
Job Title: Procurement & Merchandising Manager ( Supermarket)
Education: Graduate/ MBA /PG
Proven experience of minimum 5+ years as a purchasing manager/ merchandiser of food, beverages and toiletries. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Chilled dairy products
- Frozen foods
- Canned foods
- Alcoholic drinks
- Carbonated soft drinks
- Tissue products
- Specialty food
- Basic math skills and strong Microsoft Excel skills.
- Ability to analyze data and work with figures.
- Proficiency with computer applications and programs including ERP, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office and operations related applications.
- Effectively source new products at competitive prices.
- Effective negotiation & networking skills.
- Experienced with visual merchandising and guide in store displays.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Ability to visually examine products for quality and freshness, including rotation and effective disposal of fruits and vegetables.
- Ability to develop good relationships with suppliers and customers.
- High energy, enthusiasm and display and affinity for our products, core values and company philosophy.
- Able to assess, manage and mitigate risks.
- Solid judgment and decision making skills.
- Strong leadership capabilities.
- Comprehensive knowledge of frozen products and all other grocery products.
- Focus &attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic and integrity.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with a sense of urgency.
- Capable to interpret with compliance requirements of local FDA regulations.
- Ordering, replenishing, and merchandising of perishable and non- perishable products, as well as taking the lead on sales promotions.
- Replenishing products through proper buying procedures.
- Ensuring product orders are timely and accurate to monitor inventory turns.
- Ensure the product mix meets varied customer dietary needs and requests.
- Monitoring product quality and freshness and ensure proper rotation of
- Ensuring good visual displays and branding in stores.
- Educating subordinates and store sales staff on new, imported and private label products.
- Monitoring department waste, spoilage, expiry, damages.
- Effective reporting of key functional metrics of sales and profitability and reduce expenses/costs
- Ensuring increase in sales and profitability
- Crafting negotiation strategies and closing deals with optimal terms.
- Having good market awareness to forecast price and market trends, to identify changes of balance in buyer-supplier power.
- Performing cost and scenario analysis and benchmarking of products vs competitors.
- Seek and partner with new, reliable vendors and suppliers.
- Monitoring and forecasting upcoming levels of demand.
- Maintaining financial profitability by meeting and exceeding margin and sales targets.
- Responsibility and accountability in recognizing and accomplishing all tasks where there is a direct job responsibility.
- Ordering, replenishment and merchandising of frozen grocery products.