Posted on :
5 Nov, 2013
5 Nov, 2013
Job Vacancy For Technical Officer At Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) – Upper West Region
The Water Catchment, Storage and Irrigation project is an applied research, pilot project funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation through the Grand Challenges Exploration program.
The goal of this pilot is to identify technologies that will allow women in northern Ghana to extend the season during which they can grow food for their families, thus improving household food security.
To achieve this goal, the project will test a range of household scale water catchment and storage systems that can be combined with irrigation systems. At least two systems that pass initial tests will then be user-tested through installation in homes of volunteers. The project team will engage private suppliers of equipment and components at each stage of the project with the aim of stimulating commercial distribution of successfully tested systems to communities across northern Ghana.
The Technical Officer will work closely with the Project Technical Lead to investigate existing water catchment and storage technologies. The Technical Officer will build/assemble test equipment, monitor performance, document effectiveness, and provide evidence for selection of the most promising technologies to be promoted. During the second phase of testing, the Technical Officer will work directly with households to facilitate installation of systems, monitoring use and effectiveness, documenting any issues that make management, maintenance or use by women difficult. Demonstrate integration of the storage system with irrigation equipment. As a member of the project team, the Technical Officer will develop strong relationships with all stakeholders and promote the value of water catchment, storage and irrigation as a means to improve household food security.
This full time, 18-month position reports to the Project Technical Lead.
• Working closely with the Project Technical Lead, build test systems, monitor performance, document effectiveness and provide evidence for selection of the most promising systems to be promoted.
• Work closely with community leaders and women volunteers to facilitate installation of test systems in households in selected communities.
• Document the household level tests, monitoring effectiveness, ease of use, water utilization, etc.
• Demonstrate integration of the storage unit with irrigation systems. Monitor the effectiveness of this integration and the ability of women to extend the planting season.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with local leaders, heads of participating households and commercial suppliers of equipment.
• Monitor the success of the pilot using the established tools and processes.
• Contribute to regular reporting both narrative progress reports as well as financial reports.
• Carry out tasks as assigned by the Project Technical Lead
Qualification Required & Experience
• Experience with rainwater catchment and harvesting technologies
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in construction and/or equipment services business
• Reliable and capable of working independently
• Experience working on women-focused programs.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Management, Business, or other related field.
• Appreciation and support of MEDA’s faith, values and goals
Location: Upper West Region
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit letter of application and resume to:-
Closing Date: 18 November, 2013
Please do not submit application if you do not meet the qualifications as stated.