Posted on :
29 Oct, 2013
29 Oct, 2013
The Millennium Villages Project, supported by Millennium Promise Alliance and the Earth Institute at Columbia University, is a bottom-up approach to lift developing country villages out of the poverty trap that afflicts more than a billion people worldwide. The Millennium Villages’ team of experts in Agriculture, Nutrition and Health, Economics, Energy, Water, Agribusiness, Environment and Information Technology are working with local communities and governments to apply a proven holistic package of interventions to help villages get out of extreme poverty and meet the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
In an effort to accelerate progress towards the Millennium Development Goals in the northern savannah ecological zone, the Government of Ghana through the Savannah Accelerated Development Authority (SADA) partnered with UK Aid, and Millennium Promise to implement the Millennium Villages Project in 35 communities located in the West Mamprusi, Mamprugu Moaduri and Builsa south districts. The MV area represents the poorest sections of three District Assemblies
Purpose of the Position
The goal of the position is to coordinate the work of the Millennium Village Project (MVP) related to Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5, child and maternal health respectively. The scope of this work includes child illness and nutrition services, newborn and neonatal care, maternal antenatal and postnatal care, safe deliveries, and family planning (FP) services.
The RMNCH facilitator will report directly to the Health Coordinator. The incumbent will also liaise with appropriate MVP Research Scientists and work as a team with facilitators in other MVP sectors, including nutrition, e-health, education etc. The RMNCH facilitator will also work closely with the staff at the health facilities and with the Community health workers, including traditional birth attendants.
The RMNCH facilitator will have the knowledge, ability and skills to perform the following tasks:
• Basic and emergency obstetric care
• Monitor and supervise midwives to carry out best practice in obstetric care
• Assist in the planning and implementation of programs including working collaboratively with the department of education teachers in schools on RMNCH
• Assist in the planning and implementation of prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV infection (PMTCT) programs
• Work closely with Health team and clinics to review RMNCH programs
• Assist in the organization and facilitation of RMNCH training programs
• Collect and collate monthly data and reports from midwives in health facilities under the jurisdiction
• Track all referred pregnant women, communicating effectively with the referral hospital on feedbacks on women referred to the hospital before, during and after delivery.
• Collate and analyze RMNCH activities
• Assist with the procurement and acquisition of RMNCH logistics
• Have counseling and community mobilization skills in especially FP and VCT
Qualification Required & Experience
• BSc in Reproductive Health with at least 2 years working experience OR, a Certified senior nurse midwife with at least 3 years working experience
• An additional 2 years district / community health experience will be an added advantage
Terms of offer
MVP offers a competitive salary with an excellent benefits package. The employment contract is for a period of one year with the possibility of renewal. MVP prides itself on its collegial, supportive and gender sensitive working environment and believes that staff diversity promotes excellence. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: Northern Ghana
How To Apply For The Job
Applicants should apply by email, sending a cover letter summarizing their relevance to this position, a full C.V. and names and contact information of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to:
Closing Date: 10 November, 2013
“Application for SADA MVP RMNCH Facilitator” should be clearly marked on the subject line of the email message.
Only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted. We invite you to learn more about us at: