Posted on :
29 Apr, 2014
29 Apr, 2014
The government of the Republic of Ghana has passed an act (Act 831 of 2011) to regulate Biosafety and provide for related matters in the country. A key provision of the Act is the establishment of the National Biosafety Authority (NBA)
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
OBJECTIVES OF THE ACT
• To ensure an adequate level of protection in the field of safe development transfer, handling and use of Genetically
Modified Organisms (GMOs) resulting from biotechnology that may have an adverse effect on health and the
• To establish a transparent and predictable process to review and make decisions on genetically modified organisms
and related matters.
FUNCTIONS OF THE AUTHORITY
• Receive, process, respond to and to make decisions on applications under and in conformity with the Act.
• Establish administrative mechanisms to ensure the appropriate handling and storage of documents and data in
connection with the processing of applications and any other matter covered by the Act.
• Act as the National Focal Point responsible for liaising with any other agency or international organization concerned with biotechnology and biosafety; and
• Promote public awareness, participation and education concerning the duties of the Authority under the Biosafety
• The governing body of the Authority shall be a Board that is to be constituted.
APPOINTMENT & ADMINISTRATIVE/MANAGEMENT PROCEDURES
• The President of the Republic of Ghana shall appoint In accordance with article 195 of the Constitution of Ghana, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Authority, in the terms and conditions of service stated in the instrument of
• The CEO shall hold office for a period not exceeding five (5) years and is eligible for re-appointment for another term only;
• The CEO shall be responsible for the day to day management of the Authority and shall be accountable to the Board;
• The Board shall be responsible for the proper and efficient performance of the functions of the Authority and shall
regulate its own procedures and the proceduresof any of its Committees; and
• The sector Minister may give policy directives to the Board to facilitate its work.
• The Ministry of Environment Science Technology and Innovation invites prospective candidates to apply for the
position of Chief Executive Officer of the National Biosafety Authority that is to be constituted.
AGE: The candidate should preferably not be more than fifty-five (55) years of age.
REMUNERATION: Salary and conditions of service is very attractive.
Qualification Required & Experience
The preferred candidate must possess the following;
• A minimum of Master of Science (MSc) Pertaining to ;
1) Biotechnology/ Biosafety
2) Environmental Science
3) Any of the Biosciences
• At least ten (10) years practice in any of the above fields, five (5) years of which must be in a management position.
• Knowledge in Biosafety and Biotechnology and related protocols is an advantage.
How To Apply For The Job
Applications with curriculum vitae including names and addresses of three (3) Referees should reach the address below:-
THE CHIEF DIRECTOR
MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION
P. O. BOX GP 232 |
Closing Date: 20 May, 2014