The Ministry of Trade & Industry is the lead policy advisor to government on trade, industrial and private sector development with responsibility for the formulation and implementation of policies for the promotion, growth and development of domestic and international trade and industry. The Ministry is also the advocate for the private sector within government and is the principal agency responsible for monitoring and implementing the Government’s private sector development programmes and activities. The Ministry also ensures that Ghana derives maximum benefit from international trade relations and that domestic trade is conducted in a smooth and orderly manner. Furthermore, it is the responsibility of the Ministry to strengthen trade relations with all friendly countries on a most favoured nation basis consistent with Ghana’s membership of the World Trade Organisation (WTO). Special attention continues to be focused on the diversification of markets and the commodity export base by promoting the development of non-traditional exports industries with the view to developing an export-led economy. In industry, the Ministry’s policy thrust continues primarily to be the development of a more competitive industrial sub-sector with potentials to make in-roads into the international market with value-added local products derived from local resources.
Job Title: Environmental Specialist
- The Rural Enterprises Programme (REP) is part of the Government of Ghana’s (GOG) effort to reduce poverty and improve living conditions in rural areas by improving infrastructure, technologies, and skills needed for private sector development. The REP has been designed to upscale nationwide, the successful achievements of Rural Enterprises Project Phase I and II (REP-I & REP-II). REP has 4 main components, namely (1) Creation of Business Development Services; (2) Development of Agricultural Commodity Processing Infrastructure (3) Creation of Enabling Business Environment and (5) Programme Coordination and Management.
- REP is to be implemented in at least 161 districts nationwide. The program is co-financed by the Government of Ghana (GOG), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and African Development Bank (AfDB). A Programme Coordination and Management Unit (PCMU) has been established in Kumasi to oversee the day-to-day activities of the REP.
Reports to the National Director
- All PCMU appointments are Contract-based and reviewed yearly or as otherwise stated.
- Continuity of Contract will be based on acceptable annual performance rating and also the need for the specific expertise at the PCMU at the time.
- Staff will be expected to travel extensively in the country.
Generally, applicants should meet the following basic criteria:
- Functional computer proficiency in MS-Office and the Internet.
- Previous experience with Donor Funded Systems will be an advantage.
The Environmental Specialist will:
- Develop and implement an elaborate environmental mitigation plan for the program;
- Guide and supervise the technical support to be provided for the implementation of the environmental mitigation plan;
- Supervise all environmental mitigation aspects in the elaboration and implementation of development plans with special attention to air and water pollution, deforestation, sawdust disposal, discharge of effluence and soil degeneration, food contamination, heat, noise, dust and fumes.
- Establish linkages with relevant institutions, including Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to promote best environmental practice in the operation of MSEs within the country.
- Assist in policy dialogue to promote healthy environment practices.
- Details of specific responsibilities of the position will be included in a contract on appointment.
Required Skills or Experience
- Degree in relevant field with at least 5 years of experience in Environmental Management Practices.
How to Apply
Applications for the above position, including CVs and copies of relevant Certificates should be submitted to the following address:
The National Director
Rural Enterprises Programme Grains and
Legumes Development Board Building,
Off the Lake Road
P.O. Box 6841 Kumasi
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted and invited for an interview.