Posted on :
14 Nov, 2016
14 Nov, 2016
The MRC Unit The Gambia (MRCG) is one of two research units established in sub- Saharan Africa by the Medical Research Council UK and is the MRC’s single largest investment in medical research in a low and middle income country. MRCG represents a unique concentration of scientific expertise and high quality research platforms in the West African region. The Unit’s investigator-led research is underpinned by the combination of excellent laboratory facilities and easy access to the field with well-defined populations that are highly supportive of our research, excellent clinical services, rigorous ethical procedures and ability to deliver GCP-compliant clinical trials. Our large research portfolio spans basic research to the evaluation of interventions for the control of diseases of public health importance in sub-Saharan Africa
Job Title: Facilities Manager
We are looking for a competent professional with excellent leadership skills to Head the Facilities team based at our Main site at MRCG Fajara. This is an exciting opportunity with significant investments made in energy generation and a desire to move into renewable and other innovative approaches in the future.
• The Facilities Manager will ensure that our workplace meets the needs of employees by managing all required services appropriately.
• S/he will be involved in the strategic planning, designing and implementing the Unit’s Estates and Facilities Management Plan for Fajara, Basse and Keneba Field Stations.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A Degree or equivalent level in preferably, electrical engineering or related field
• Interpersonal, relationship-building and networking skills
• The ability to work and communicate across multiple geographical sites
• An understanding of facilities management in a Gambian/West African context.
• Good project management skills
• The ability to source and synthesize information from various sources
• Clear and concise writing skills and the ability to review long and complex documents
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to lead and motivate others
• Previous relevant experience managing facilities in a big operations either working for multilateral organisations, NGO’s hospital, Biomedical research laboratory or a science University
• Demonstrate success and use of best practices in a previous role
• IT skills – intermediate/advanced use of several Microsoft Office Packages
• A practical, flexible and innovative approach to work
• Procurement and negotiation skills
• The ability to multi-task and prioritize your workload
• Time management skills
An attractive salary will be paid in MRCG’s Grade 2, 38 Points with a minimum net monthly salary of GMD95,906. This is equivalent to a take home pay of approximately $2,131 per month using the prevailing USD/Dalasi exchange rate
For displaced staff the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowances for spouse and children, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
How To Apply For The Job
Please contact the Human Resources Office at:
[email protected] to obtain an application form and job description.
The appointment is up to 31st March, 2021 and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
Closing Date: 02 December, 2016