Posted on :
7 Sep, 2010
7 Sep, 2010
MSH is recognized globally for the technical excellence of its work and the professional integrity of its employees. We are proud of our staff and believe that they are the organization’s most valuable asset. MSH offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package to all of its employees. Staff receive ample pay for holiday, sick, and vacation time, as well as contributions toward a company-funded pension plan. Eligible employees receive health, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance options, and employees who travel or work overseas are provided with medical evacuation coverage. MSH Ghana recruits Senior TB Technical Advisor – Africa
In close collaboration with the Principal TB Technical Advisor based in Tanzania, the Senior TB Technical Advisor is responsible for providing technical assistance to MSH’s TB projects and staff in African countries and elsewhere as required.
The Senior TB Technical Advisor, in partnership with the Principal TB Technical Advisor, serves as a resource and team member to improve staff capacity, particularly at primary health care and hospital level, and works closely with members of multidisciplinary teams to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of interventions in MSH’s TB projects.
He/she is responsible for assuring a strong linkage between the public health and population approaches of technical assistance in TB and TB-HIV/AIDS, and the development of strategic and operational plans for capacity building and access programming within country teams or country projects.
He/she will be expected to employ a “hands-on” technical approach to MSH’s projects and National TB Programs. Specific emphasis will be placed on program management, and quality DOTS implementation and DOTS expansion, with a focus on increasing case detection and improving the quality of care, community-based DOTS, TB epidemiology, Quality Assurance, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), operational research, infection control, TB/HIV collaboration, MDR/XDR TB control and prevention. He/she will also provide technical assistance in coordinating other activities, such as supporting TB drug management and the TB lab management.
He/she will be expected to maintain MSH’s professional and procurement integrity standards in all activities.
1. Provide technical and managerial support, including capacity building, to MSH’s TB, TB/HIV and MDR TB projects and National TB Programs and staff in African countries (English and French speaking), focusing on quality DOTS enhancement and expansion, improving TB and TB/HIV case detection, TB/HIV collaboration, care and support, MDR/ XDR TB programs implementation, PPM strategies and strategic information.
2. Provide knowledge transfer and capacity building to MSH’s country projects and National TB Programs in the areas of TB management programs, operational research, M&E, supervision, Quality Assurance, and TB and MDR/XRD TB epidemiology.
3. Provide technical assistance to MSH’s TB Projects and National TB Programs in monitoring and evaluation of TB programs, TB/HIV, case detection, case notification, infection control and MDR/XDR TB.
4. Contribute to the TB control efforts at the community, district, and regional levels, with a special emphasis on implementing Community-based DOTS and supporting the decentralization of operational research focusing on increasing case detection.
5. Support the National TB Program’s efforts to strengthen the HR supervisory system within each country.
6. Provide technical assistance to MSH’s TB country projects and National TB Programs to prepare Global Fund proposals as required.
7. Ensure timely data collection collation and reporting.
8. Represent MSH on regional and national TB, TB/HIV and MDR/XRD TB working groups and at selected international meetings.
9. Work in close coordination and collaboration with MSH’s Principal TB Technical Advisor based in Tanzania.
10. Perform other duties as required.
1. Medical Degree essential, with post-graduate training in public health.
2. Doctoral-level degree in Public Health or related field desirable.
3. Minimum of 10 years’ practical experience working in public health in developing countries in a variety of cultural settings. Experience in Africa (English and French- speaking countries) an added advantage. Also desirable experience in Asia, Eurasia and/or Latin American countries.
4. Recognized expertise in TB, TB/HIV and/or MDR/XDR TB programming at regional and country levels in developing countries.
5. Ten or more years’ experience providing technical assistance for TB, TB/HIV and MDR/XDR TB programs essential.
6. Understanding of current key TB, TB/HIV control and MDR/XDR TB issues.
7. Demonstrated success in achieving results leading a National TB Control Program or TB projects.
8. Proven ability to build strong relationships, work well as part of a team, and to incorporate views of other disciplines into his or her work.
9. Demonstrated organizational, managerial and supervisory skills and abilities; sound judgment and high ethical standards; flexible and able to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
10. Demonstrate capacity to work in a variety of cultural settings, complex environments and fragile states.
11. Significant knowledge and experience of health sector reform processes in developing countries and the associated impact on the organization and financing of TB, TB/HIV and MDR/XDR TB programs.
12. Demonstrated experience in M&E and Operational Research in the TB context, with practical experience in TB epidemiology.
13. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
14. Proficiency in English and French, including speaking, understanding, writing and reading, with the ability to conduct business in English and French.
15. Competence in Spanish and/or Portuguese desirable.
16. Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Skills in a statistical program (e.g. SPSS, EPI info) is an added advantage
17. Experience working with USAID/PEPFAR -funded programs.
18. Experience working with Global Fund projects desirable.
19. Willingness and ability to travel within Africa up to 70% of his/her time and internationally as required
LOCATION: Country TBD in Africa (place of residence of candidate)
This is a full-time position with duration of the contract: one year with the possibility of extension for two years depending on performance and funds.
There are no international allowances available for this position.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
To apply for this position, please see the instructions below.
Apply for this job
Please have your resume and cover letter available to apply for this position now.