Posted on :
28 Jul, 2016
28 Jul, 2016
UCLGA-WARO exists as the West Africa regional office of United Cities and Local Government of Africa (UCLG AFRICA) with the mandate to champion and defend the interests of local government associations and their member local government units in West Africa.
Job Title: Project Officer – Covenant Of Mayors for Sub-Saharan Africa
Reporting to: Senior Project Coordinator/Regional Director, WARO UCLGA
Job purpose and description:
The Project Officer will be based at the UCLG Africa premises in Accra, Ghana. The person will be selected by UCLG Africa and CEMR to work on the Covenant of Mayors Office for Sub-Saharan Africa (CoMO SSA). She/he is expected travel in the region and Europe (Brussels project office).
Under the coordination of the Senior Project Officer (based in the Project Office in Brussels) and the direct supervision of the Regional Director of UCLG Africa, and previous appropriate training, the appointed person is expected to perform following tasks:
• Act as a focal information point (‘central helpdesk’) on matters related to CoMO SSA’s activities and to the overall Covenant of Mayors initiative;
• Act as a “first-line help desk”, providing daily technical assistance on the ground and be available to answer any technical question regarding the promotion and the implementation of the Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa initiative. If more specific information is requested, the project officer will liaise with the consortium partners and the Project Office as “second-line helpdesk” who will be in a position to provide a more tailored support;
• Assist with the organisation of meetings taking place in Africa;
• Take charge of the management of the Help Desk Office in Accra and liaise with the Project Office in Brussels for planning, organising and reporting on the help desk activities and financial and administrative issues;
• Liaise with the UCLG Africa colleagues in charge of the promotion of the CoM SSA initiative with the African local authorities.
Main terms and conditions of employment:
• This is a full time fixed-term contract until 30 November 2019
• Date of entry in service: 1 September 2016
• The annual gross salary for the position will be according to experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
• Travel is expected to various African countries and/or within Europe. Flexibility in working hours will be required.
• The full terms and conditions will be set out in a contract with UCLG Africa made on the basis of the Ghanaian law with the successful candidate.
Qualification Required & Experience
• The position is open to African candidates holding a Master Degree in Environment, Energy or another relevant subject.
• 5 years of work experience in project management;
• working in an African member-based organisation, and in dealing directly with its members is an asset
Aptitudes, Skills and Knowledge:
• Computer literate in main current software applications
• Mastering of Internet, websites, social networks, and current editing software tools
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Sense of initiative and responsibility
• Accountability and strict ethical behavior
• Networking skills
• Good sense of organization
• Be able to learn fast
• Ready to travel frequently
• Experience of working in an intercultural and multinational environment
• Ability to work autonomously and to work in and with teams
• Knowledge of the Covenant of Mayors initiative is an asset.
• Bilingual English – French (oral and written)
• Knowledge of Portuguese is a valuable asset
How to Apply For the Job
Interested candidates are invited to send us, writing one of the mentioned documents in English and the other one in French:
• A cover letter of maximum two pages, explaining why you would like to work as Project officer on the CoMO SSA project, why you are the ideal candidate for this position and which is your expected salary, and
• A curriculum vitae, including family situation, employment history (with salary), education, professional qualifications, language skills and the contact details of two references.
These should be addressed to [email protected] by 12/08/2016 midnight GMT time, clearly indicating “Project Officer CoMO SSA in Accra” in the subject line. Or by post to the following address:
United Cities And Local Governments of Africa
West Africa Regional Office
PMB CT 510 Cantonment, Accra, Ghana.
Selected candidates will be asked to come in for an interview in Accra, Ghana.
Closing Date: 12 August, 2016